#1 User is offline   KatieP 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationEngland
  • tielskept:
    Dotty

Posted 06 November 2016 - 08:58 AM

Hello, I'm new to the world of cockatiels but have recently adopted one. The previous owner said the bird is young and probably female. Is it possible to confirm this from a photo? I was under the impression from reading that the only way of sexing a young bird was a dna test. I doubt she'd have done this but perhaps the pet shop she got it from might have? She thinks it's between 4-8 months now. I'm just looking for some above of what to look for to confirm it's rough age and gender... if anyone can help!? Thank you in advance Attached File  20161104_142711.jpg (4.09MB)
Number of downloads: 6

#2 User is offline   Paul 

• Gold Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationHazelbrook, NSW Australia
  • tielskept:

Posted 06 November 2016 - 04:35 PM

Hi Katie and Posted Image to Totally Tiels Posted Image
Your cockatiel is definitely a mature male at least 6 months old. How long have you had him? And have you noticed his colouring change over the last couple of months?

Posted Image

For Lovers Of Tiels

Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

#3 User is offline   KatieP 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • LocationEngland
  • tielskept:
    Dotty

Posted 06 November 2016 - 04:46 PM

Ah brilliant. Thank you. I've had him 3 days... so I don't know about any changes unfortunately. Thank you for getting back to me though. I'll no doubt be back often with lots of questions about him :)

#4 User is offline   Shayla 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • LocationNetherlands
  • tielskept:

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:20 AM

Could you please tell me how you know the gender of a cockatiel from a photo? During this past month and a half we have been searching for 2 females. The breeder we bought our males from years ago who owns a huge bird store couldn't even tell 6 month old cockatiels gender by looking. I have read over and over aboutique the colors of their cheeks... brighter the cheeks male...lighter cheeks females... and I can honestly say this is not reliable.We have 2 females whose cheeks are just as bright as our males. We had to actually watch behaviours, listen to their calls, and see their reactions when placed with our males. From what I have read there are only a few ways to reliably know gender without these factors is DNA as mentioned and surgically seeing them. Very trained breeders can also reasonably estimate by feeling the pelvic bones as females will be wider for laying eggs... but I would love to know the secret of telling gender from a picture... It would be very enlightening and suser beneficial...
-Shay-
I don't make friends, I make family :0)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users