Hi Everyone Introduction

#1 User is offline   Shayla 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationNetherlands
  • tielskept:

Posted 03 December 2016 - 02:13 AM

Hi there... I am Shayla and we have 4 cockatiels. How they came about is a long sad story.We started out with 2 males. Lukas is approximately 12 years old, and Dewey who was approximately 9. For many years they seemed to be doing fine until Dewey tried to assert some independence and then Lukas became very dominant causing Dewey to be very stressed and he started plucking his feathers under his wings and along his sides. We took him to the vet several times but the only option was to separate them which was also a nightmare because as much as Dewey was stressed with Lukas it was worse for him alone. We put an antibiotic cream where he would pick and it would clear up for a while, but eventually he started to pick again. We talked to the breeder we bought them from and she thought it would be a good idea to separate them and place a younger female bird with each of them so they weren't alone, and there weren't dominance issues.
Since gender is difficult to determine as well as if the birds would be compatible we were allowed to bring birds home on a trial basis to see how everyone got along.(We started this because Dewey was picking again and it was pretty bad so we really wanted to have him in a cage where he felt safe.We were using the cream again and he was starting to heal) We lucked out right away with one and one was definitely male and scared Lukas. He definitely would have put Lukas in his place but our goal wasn't to punish Lukas but to have both of our birds happy and healthy. So the male went back and we found the sweetest bird... So we then had Lukas with Buttercup and Dewey with Blossom. She was so very loving towards Dewey. She knew that he wasn't feeling well and was always at his side nibbling him gently... I would say giving him kisses. Lukas wasn't super fond of Buttercup but he tolerates her well in his cage. Sadly even though Dewey was healing on the outside he must have developed an infection and he passed away 2 weeks ago... Blossom alerted us to his worsening condition. She kept calling out for him as he took his last breaths in my husband's arms... It tore our hearts out and was unbelievably painful for our 7 year old daughter who basically grew up with him. It was unbearable to continue to hear Blossom calling out to him we didn't know what to do... Our goal was 4 happy cockatiels and we were down to 3 with one constantly reminding us all of our beloved Dewey. So we did the only thing we could think of and that was getting the other male that we had returned. Which leads us now to our newest dilemma... The birds we bought are approximately 6 months of age and where Lukas doesn't seem to fancy Buttercup as a breeding partner, Blossom and Ditto seem to be acting like a couple of hormone filled teenagers... I have researched a lot and it says definitely don't breed until they are at least 18 months old. We even contacted the breeder and she said they were "just practicing" these birds were caged together in the store, and she had stated that it happens all the time. Yet I read that females can be capable of breeding at 6 months but it isn't safe. I also read that males can be infertile at this age. We don't have a breeding box set up... We are going to swap the birds for a while but what if she is already fertile? We have seen about 3 attempts and today it appeared that it was more than an attempt.
Yeah wow a lot of information... Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated... I don't think our family is ready for another loss. We have been doing our best following guidance from a very experienced breeder, but now I am questioning everything...

-Shay-
I don't make friends, I make family :0)

#2 User is offline   Monika Wrobel 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationUnited States
  • tielskept:
    moto

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:37 AM

I’m Monika Wrobel, Pediatrician and also a mother of two kids from Texas. Due to my profession and also for being a mother I have a close relation with children. Most of the time the parents ask me for the suggestion which baby care products is the best for kids. I have tried to give some review of products, which I recommend in real life and also I have used for my own kids. here is my website : http://bestbabycares.com or best baby jumper

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users