• You cannot reply to this topic

#1 User is offline   Jayjo 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationForest of dean
  • tielskept:

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:26 AM

Hi, I am the proud owner of 7 cockatiels.
I never thought of myself as a bird person until the day my youngest son came home with a bird perched on his shoulder. He knew it wasnt a wild bird and after whistling at him for some time the bird came to him and he brought him home.
After some research we found out it was a cockatiel and went from door to door in the local area to see if anyone had lost such a bird but came up with nothing.
A neighbour offered to house him till his true owner could be found but sadly we never did find the owner but the bird is doing great and has a loving new owner, not me, even tho my son begged and begged me.
A few weeks went by and my son was still going on about this cockatiel he had found so I decided I would get 1 for him as he was showing a real interest, so this is how the tiel family started.
Tom was our first followed quickly by Kiwi as I didnt want him to feel lonely. They loved to come out their cage and the whole house revolved around them, even me lol
Over the next few months I made the mistake of visting the pet shop and fell in love with another tiel and quickly brought it home, welcome home Flo.
Then came a breeding pair that was sold to the pet shop as the owner was moving away, the female won my heart and the birds were given the names Thursday and Friday by my eldest daughter.
After all the different colours I had already I wanted a white cockatiel and soon found him, welcome home Daisy, which is the mischievious 1 of the bunch and can open the cage doors.
No more tiels my husband said, I agreed this was enough as we dont have the biggest front room in the world.
But after going into the pet shop for the bird food I saw 2 more cockatiels, a lovely light grey pied and the male was white and yellow mixed. Their previous owner had died and both birds were housed in a small cage, I couldnt see them like that could I?
The male won my heart, coming to see me and whistling away, thankfully for me my husband agreed I could have them so Baby and charlie came home with me.
We now had 8 cockatiels in our home after I always said I would never have birds.
After 8 months Tom got sick, we noticed he was in the corner of the cage by himself, where normally he would always be with Kiwi. After a few days we took him from the main cage and put him in a cage of his own and phoned the vet for advice.
Sadly after 2 days he died and my son was heartbroken as Tom was his tiel, we never did find out why he died.
4 more months passed and Kiwi was acting strange, straight away she came out the cage, I wrapped her in a towel to keep her warm and gave her cuddles while my husband set up the cage but she never made it into the cage, she died in my arms. I cried like a baby and then worried if I was doing something wrong.
My husband assured me our tiels were better fed than him, fresh food and water everyday, millet once a week and fresh vegetables. Cleaned when they were dirty so no I hadnt done anything wrong it was just nature.
A few months after that my mum was struggling to look after her cockatiel and budgie which was housed together so we gave them a home so she could still see them. We now have 7 cockatiels and 2 budgies.
I didnt realise how fun it would be to keep birds and how different each of them are, 3 of my male tiels can say " what you doing? " but only Baby is the real talker, Daisy likes to escape, Flo is the quiet 1 and Friday has just become a father and doing great. Yes we have 2 baby tiels aswell.
We have 2 female tiels called Charlie, both rescue birds, 1 is nearly 5 years old and the other has just become a mother.
Thursday is the noisest female and likes to start all the others off in the house when the hoover comes out lol

Well this is our tiel family and after losing 2 of them I wont be getting any more as it broke all our hearts
Thank you for listening to me go on and on

#2 User is offline   Humphrey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 December 2016 - 03:49 PM

Great story.

They do get under your skin.

I have 20 budgies 6 Cockatiels with 3. 3 week old chicks.

Two Rainbow Lorikeets. Rainbow I have had for 9 years and he flew into my sons house. So I don't know how old he is.
And Lorrie. He was about 5 weeks old when i got him. He was in a nest in a tree that was being removed by an Arborist 4 weeks ago.

There is lots of great information on this forum. Even if the traffic is a little slow.

Cheers Phil.
One of 4 people in this country is mentally unbalanced.
Think of your 3 closest friends.
If theye are OK.
Then you are the one.

#3 User is offline   Donnasjb 

• Tiel Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationMelbourne
  • tielskept:

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:35 PM

Hello Jayjo,
I loved reading all about your babies. They are all so different, but they certainly take up a big part of our hearts. Mine are rescues and males. Kepp in contact as it made for interesting reading. all the best

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users