More than one cockatiel? Need Advice please

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationUK
  • tielskept:

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:08 AM

Hi all, I am a newbie here but i'm only here as I want the best for my lovely tiel Monty and wanted to ask those that know better than me!
I will need to give you background info so you know where i'm coming from and what i'm going on about....
SO! we had parrots of various breed but after old age and one from an unknown illness we were left with 1 parrot, a Black Headed Caique called Wally and she seemed fine and happy until she wasn't and was screeching like i'd never heard before, until one morning I discovered an egg in her cage, so Wally was a Wallina! Anyway we tried everything to get her to stop laying eggs, the noises were horrific sounding! In the end it did seem to us that it was quite the coincidence that this started as soon as she was all alone for the first time in many years! You probably guessed what I will say next, but we felt strongly she was lonely and needed company, after much research it seemed the kind of bird we were looking for was a Cockatiel which surprised me as if i'm honest i'd never liked them as all my experiences with them were from Aunties and Grannies cramming loads into small cages and them all looking either angry, stressed or scared and usually mostly bald, a right sorry sight! But after more research into the breed and many you tube videos it's fair to say I fell in love and wanted one anyway!
So I got one, my lovely Monty who I love beyond belief, he was so scared of me at first and now he loves to sit on me and wants me to sing, whistle and talk to him, I can tell how happy it makes him, especially as Wally doesn't talk or even sing much, she's a screamer! :P
They have separate cages but come out together in the same room, they love to play together and huddle together, preening and other friendly stuff (I suspect Monty would like more but Wally is like Heck no!)
Now this is where I get to the issue, which is actually Wallys destructive behaviour, no i'm not here to ask advice about that, been there and done that and it's beyond hope, she has destroyed the room and i'm not talking poo, dust and feathers or even small amounts of destruction, i'm talking chewing through wall plaster destruction and everything else she can get her beak on and yes she has so much stuff to chew, shred and destroy but she goes for everything she shouldn't and frankly i'm worried for her safety and the only reason I haven't found her a new home is because of Monty....which is ironic when considering my first reason for even getting another bird, SO!

My concern is Monty being left alone and I know people on here don't like you getting a bird for another bird but i'm only thinking this, this time around as I've seen with my own eyes everyday how much he loves to have a buddy and as I mentioned there are 2 cages so they would have their own space, however this leaves me wondering and worrying, if I get another tiel should it be male or female? As I mentioned before my experiences with seeing multi tiels was not great but they were over crowded and sharing a cage, but I've also seen a friend with 2 bonded pairs in a massive cage together but there were missing feathers again, so I really worry about this. I don't want to breed so I worry about about getting a female (or will this not happen if they have separate cages?) and I worry about another male.... well you know how fellas can sometimes be, so maybe if I did consider a male a young one would be better as less threatening to Monty? Obviously I wouldn't leave them alone whether male or female at first for safety's sake, but still I would like everyone's opinion and I just hope I don't sound horrible regarding Wally, I honestly have tried everything, I've spent a fortune trying to make her happy but it seems happiness for her is destroying everything, everything! *cries* It's the hardest thing to think about and i'm still undecided truth be told, but I hope no one things badly of me :( If I do decide it's best for both of us if she has a fresh start I would obviously also be very careful about where she goes, I do love her dearly but I find it hard to cope with her.
It's funny because I read a post on here where someone was trying to explain was a commitment a tiel is and how much hard work they are and honestly I thought, huh! That is how hard it is to cope with Wally, any mess Monty makes is just nothing in comparison, I find him a joy to look after and he also happens to be awesome and amazing :D

Sorry for the long post and waffling on but I felt you needed the full picture to be able to understand and maybe help me better, thank you in advance :)

Attached File(s)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users