• You cannot reply to this topic

Baby cockatiel - Deformed beak.

#1 User is offline   pearce 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:39 PM

Hello all

I am a new member to this site and I have a problem.
One of my baby cockatiels has a deformed beak. He is 33 days old and he is still alive so he must be getting food somehow.
Here he is:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Can this be fixed? Is it a problem? Just any information on this would be greatley appreciated.

Thanks very much P.S I am making an introduction post now.

#2 User is offline   Liv 

• Administrator
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia
  • tielskept:

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:47 PM

Oh the poor baby

That is scissors beak. Its a lateral deviation of the rhinotheca. It is a developmental abnormality that occurs most commonly in cockatoos and macaws. It is thought to be caused by improper temperature during artificial incubation, genetics, or incorrect feeding techniques. Other possible causes include calcium deficiency, trauma, or a viral or mycobacterial infection.

Treatment varies with the severity of the problem and the age of the bird. In young birds with mild deviations, simply applying finger pressure to the appropriate side of the beak for several minutes 2-3 times daily, may correct the problem. In older birds, or those with more severe deviations, an avian veterinarian may need to perform surgery and apply a type of acrylic prosthesis (splint) to correct the abnormal growth.

Here is a site showing the implant -----> http://www.littleton...com/685014.html
it needs to be surgically implanted into the bone - your chick may be getting too old for successful treatment :(

At the moment he will be getting his food from his parents. the test will be when its time to wean - birds can adapt to eat with many deformaties to the beak - if all else fails he might need to be a special needs pet and only be fed soft food for the rest of his life
Do you also love budgies? Visit The Budgerigar Breeders Club Inc Forum ---> Here

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 User is offline   pearce 

• Egg
  • Pip

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:59 PM

OK Thankyou.

I amnot sure if he can eat himself yet as his parents are feeding him. What do you think the chances are of me being able to fix the beak myself? he is only 33 days old. I do not want to make it worse by breaking his beak or somthing so I need to make sure...

#4 User is offline   pearce 

• Egg
  • Pip

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:08 PM

I should also add that I do not mind if he is a special needs bird that needs to be fed. I just dont want him in pain. I just tried to move the beak with no sucess... it just kept reverting to the way it is.

#5 User is offline   Liv 

• Administrator
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • tielskept:

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:10 PM

The avian vet may trim the upper mandible, cutting off the tusk and reshaping both the upper and lower beak. Persistent trimming will eventually result in both mandibles growing normally. Incorrect trimming may worsen the condition. This should only be undertaken by someone skilled and trained in this procedure.

It's really a job for a skilled avian vet.

Unfortunately, if left unattended the beak will continue to grow longer and worsen as parrots normally grind their beaks together to keep them trim
Do you also love budgies? Visit The Budgerigar Breeders Club Inc Forum ---> Here

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 User is offline   Liv 

• Administrator
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • tielskept:

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:14 PM

The surgery is rather grizzly looking, but seems to work well if you can afford it

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 User is offline   Herry Braun 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • LocationLeeds
  • tielskept:

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:05 PM

I also recommend surgical treatment if acquired from a reliable source.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users