#1 User is offline   JoeR 

• Bronze Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • LocationUnited States
  • tielskept:

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

My wife and I stopped to get some Roudy Bush food for our bad tweetily birds. We also visited Cookies newest siblings, including her albino sister. While there, I asked about possibly fostering a bird sometime, and she had just taken in a potential candidate.

Meet our newest member of the clan. Nameless at the moment, until she earns one. Possibly a female. she is supposed to be aggressive an not able to be handled.

Agressive. No

Scared to death? Definitely.

We took her home and I am going to attempt to tame her. She is young, and the previous owners only had her for 2 months and gave up on her. I moved her from one cage to another without a single bite. Not even a pinch. Lots of complaining though...
I'm hoping we can get her settled down enough to find her a good home.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Don't let my big mouth and strong opinions fool you. I'm a total rookie at raising cockatiels.

#2 User is offline   Paul 

• Gold Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationHazelbrook, NSW Australia
  • tielskept:

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

Welcome Nameless... lol She does appear to be a hen. Any idea of her age?

Posted Image

For Lovers Of Tiels

Posted Image Posted Image

#3 User is offline   JoeR 

• Bronze Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationUnited States
  • tielskept:

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

Young. Less than 6 months we believe.
Don't let my big mouth and strong opinions fool you. I'm a total rookie at raising cockatiels.

#4 User is offline   Paul 

• Gold Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • tielskept:

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

He or she should start the first moult soon then and then will will know the sex for sure.

Posted Image

For Lovers Of Tiels

#5 User is offline   JoeR 

• Bronze Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationUnited States
  • tielskept:

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

I've got her cage right by my recliner. Cookie is asleep on my chest after a long bout of head scritches. This new bird sure is a nervous girl. She is climbing all over her cage like crazy. I opened the door for her. After about 20 minutes she stepped onto the threshold, but went right back in.

Joe

#6 User is offline   foxylady29 

• Bronze Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationUnited States
  • tielskept:

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

Joe, that's just fantastic. She/he's pretty. You might just be our resident bird whisperer. I wish Curly would fall asleep on my chest. Haha. That's so nice of you to do that. Will you be able to give her up? Would you like a 3yr old male Lutino?? :DD:

#7 User is offline   JoeR 

• Bronze Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationUnited States
  • tielskept:

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

Foxy, I don't anticipate it being a problem giving her up. As much as I enjoy our pets, I don't bond deeply with them. Never have. Not even as a kid. I will want to make sure she gets a good home though.
Joe

#8 User is offline   foxylady29 

• Bronze Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationUnited States
  • tielskept:

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:55 AM

Again, you are to be admired for your selflessness. :drumroll: Now me, I could give Curly up in a New York minute. Don't think hubby would like it very much, but he isn't the one cleaning up poop, cage, bird, dishes and food. Obviously not a good Curly day.

#9 User is offline   JoeR 

• Bronze Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationUnited States
  • tielskept:

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:08 AM

Foxy, I think you mean heartlessness, not selflessness...

It sounds like Curly is a well behaved bird, but he likes being bonded to one person. Some birds are like that. If that is the case, your mission may not be to make Curly like you. That might be impossible now that he has switched favorites. Your mission now might be to make him well behaved, and that is going to take a while, especially if he is strong willed.

Joe

#10 User is offline   JoeR 

• Bronze Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationUnited States
  • tielskept:

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:49 AM

And some potential names are beginning to surface. Being a young female, and pretty messed up emotionally, and acting poorly, we thought maybe we would name her after a prominent person with the same behavior.

So, if we are able to get her settled down and back on track, she may be named Brittany.

If she continues down the wrong path, Lindsay.

:D

#11 User is offline   foxylady29 

• Bronze Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationUnited States
  • tielskept:

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:57 AM

:laugh:/> You're so funny! Thanks for the advice. How can I get him to behave if I can't get him back into his cage or even on my finger? He drew blood yesterday. He does listen when I say "no" and stops what he's doing. Sometimes when I tell him to go home, he will...maybe coincidence.
Did I tell you I'm getting another tiel this summer? A male pearl pied, handraised. That should give me a much better chance of having a tiel who loves me....I will see.
Thanks again.

#12 User is offline   JoeR 

• Bronze Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationUnited States
  • tielskept:

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

Foxy, it sounds like you have a bird picked out. I'm glad you are getting another one. Please allow me to give you some very sincere advice.

If you want a bird that is going to be cuddly, I recommend looking at ones that are ready to be adopted, and then spending as much time as possible around them until one of them chooses you. My wife and I have had several birds over the years, and there is a distinct difference in the level of social interaction between a bird that you pick out, and a bird that picks you out.
Some prefer men.
Some prefer women.
Tall, short, red hair, glasses, mustaches, deep voice......whatever.
you can't know what they will like by looking at them, and it takes some time for them to figure out of they like you. My wife and i shopped for Cookie for 6 months or more. We were awfully close on one or two different birds, but after spending 2 hours with her, we knew she was the one.
She was perfectly comfortable climbing all over both of us.
She had absolutely no fear of our hands, or anything else for that matter.
After playing for a while she climbed onto my neck and fell asleep.

As you've found out with Curly, once a bird makes a choice, it is hard to change their mind. Be WAY more worried that the bird bonds with you than what coloring it has. I think you'll be WAY happier for a long time.\\

I wish you a lot of luck finding a second bird. They are great little pests, but they sure have a mind of their own. Having multiples makes you appreciate their individuality even more.

Again, please take this for what it is worth. It is just advice, and it's from someone that is not exactly an expert, but I do know what has worked for me. That's all.

Joe

#13 User is offline   Paul 

• Gold Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • tielskept:

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

Joe, you'll never get your warn status increased if you keep giving good advice like that :haha: :thumbsup:

Posted Image

For Lovers Of Tiels

#14 User is offline   JoeR 

• Bronze Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationUnited States
  • tielskept:

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

View PostPaul, on 03 April 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

Joe, you'll never get your warn status increased if you keep giving good advice like that :haha:/> :thumbsup:/>

It may not be good advice. If poor foxy comes home with another bird that pokes holes in her, she may be scolding me for steering her in the wrong direction!

#15 User is offline   foxylady29 

• Bronze Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationUnited States
  • tielskept:

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

Hey Joe, I think that is excellent advice and I'm positive that I don't want another Curly!!! I asked the breeder if I could come spend sometime with the little fella once he's born and weaned, but haven't heard back. If I can't, I will have to go somewhere else. You're right about the color, but I was talking with a breeder at the time. Don't think we have any bird adoption centers here. If I find one, I'll definitely do what you suggest. That would save me lots of time and misery. I'm all for that. I really think I can be a good tiel mom if given the right chance.

#16 User is offline   JoeR 

• Bronze Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationUnited States
  • tielskept:

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

No-Name has been here almost a week now. I've only been home for 2 of those days, but my wife has done a good job of acclimating her to the house. As I mentioned before, she is really scared of hands. I took a video to show what she does when you put a hand in her cage. I put my hand just inside the cage and never moved it. you can see she starts running laps of the cage. She did this tonight for about 15 straight minutes, then settled back on her perch in the same spot. Eventually she will come eat the millet. Same routing every time. for now, I'm looking for her to tear around the cage for a shorter period of time before she stops to eat.
Also keep in mind that if she doesn't see my hands, she will sit near me in the cage, sleep, preen and tweetle happily.

No-Name doing laps.

#17 User is offline   Paul 

• Gold Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • tielskept:

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

Poor No-Name, she sure is scared. Looks like this might take a bit of time, but I'm sure you can do it Joe.

Posted Image

For Lovers Of Tiels

#18 User is offline   JoeR 

• Bronze Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationUnited States
  • tielskept:

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

I'm hoping that she can be tamed. It is going to be a challenge though, and I'm sure my lack of training experience is going to cost me.

#19 User is offline   foxylady29 

• Bronze Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationUnited States
  • tielskept:

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

That sounds just a little bit familiar. :lol2: Just hope she's not a biter.

#20 User is offline   JoeR 

• Bronze Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationUnited States
  • tielskept:

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

I was in/out of the house today and got a chance to be a pest to the new bird. She calmly tolerated my hands in the cage when changing her food dishes, but decided to flap around when I was trying to give her some egg for lunch. I scooped her up despite her protests and gave her some head scritches and smooches. She didn't appreciate either! :lol: I put her on the outside of her cage (while Herbie was on there too) and she quickly went back inside.
Tonight I offered her millet again and despite her threatening beak, she calmly ate some. I can do this over and over and she isn't freaking out. I am trying to decide my next move. I think my choices are to continuing trying to make her comfortable with my hand, or move immediately to target training now that she takes millet from my hand.
Opinions welcome.

Joe

No-name settling down

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users