Totally Tiels: RIP Maxwell. I'm sorry Luna (Advice Needed Please) - Totally Tiels

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RIP Maxwell. I'm sorry Luna (Advice Needed Please)

#1 User is offline   mochimochiyummy 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationUnited States
  • tielskept:

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

Background: I've had my female cockatiel (Luna) since the day my mom got the birds from a friend. I remember I found Luna (female) and Silver (male) in the garage one day. Anyway Silver flew away a long time ago after a freak accident, so Luna lost her mate. So we went to the Bird Store to get Luna a new friend, which looked just like Silver. We named him Maxwell. Well my dad has bird allergies, so we leave the bird cage in the backyard to give them some fresh air and to give my Dad relief from his allergies. So we leave them out in the day time and bring them back in before sunset. We've doing this for five months now and it's been okay till today.

Main Story:Today I came back from work and to my horror I found Luna by herself in the cage...and a pile of feathers and blood on the concrete. I saw an orange cat scamper off with Maxwell in its mouth. It's really hard to type this. Luna was screaming and I immediately brought her in and told her sorry sorry over and over again. I sat with her sobbing and talking to her. Luna calmed down a few hours after the incident, she's chilling on my desk right now. Her shaking has gone down and she stopped crying.

Right now, I ask you the community what I should do. Should I buy another bird for Luna? Has anyone else gone through this. I'm sorry this is my first time taking care of birds and I looked for an answer all over the internet but couldn't find it.

Thank you so much for reading.

I'm new here and I don't know if this is the right place to post this. I hope you all understand, thank you

#2 User is offline   Paul 

• Gold Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationHazelbrook, NSW Australia
  • tielskept:

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

Posted Image Mochimochivyummy & :welcome: to Totally Tiels.

I'm sorry you've come to us under such sad circumstances and sorry for your loss Posted Image I would, by all means, get Luna another friend.

If you need to leave your cage outside unsupervised, I would buy some small padlocks for all the doors on the cage. Also, another thing to consider when leaving the cage out is whether the wind can knock it over? Try to find a way of weighing it down so it can't get blown over. And, finally, make sure you leave the cage somewhere where it won't get too much sun.

Posted Image

For Lovers Of Tiels

Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

#3 User is offline   mochimochiyummy 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • LocationUnited States
  • tielskept:

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:20 AM

Thank you for welcome and condolences. Before getting her a new friend should I wait a certain amount of time? Would she be too stressed out?

#4 User is offline   foxylady29 

• Bronze Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationUnited States
  • tielskept:

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

Hi and welcome to Totally Tiels even under this devastating circumstance. I'm am so very, very sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine. I would agree with the other two members. Anyway you handle it will be right for you. Again, sorry. :flowers: :rip:

#5 User is offline   mochimochiyummy 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • LocationUnited States
  • tielskept:

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

She's staying inside the family room from now on, we'll just leave the window open from now on so most of the dander would flow outside. She will only be outside if someone if there to sit with her. She's a bit better, her shaking has gone down, but she isn't eating all that much. I was playing the piano this morning to try and brighten her up a bit. She hasn't screamed a lot today, just a chirp here and there. But she's been awfully quiet. I'm going to see how she does for the rest of the week and see if she calms down more and is ready for someone new. Thank you for the support (:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users