Sat on eggs for almost 3 weeks, then abandoned

#1 User is offline   Sam'sMom 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationOregon
  • tielskept:

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:45 AM

My son's cockatiels laid a clutch. We kept it in for forever before removing the eggs (didn't sit, weren't fertilized). But she laid again immediately. They were mating and this clutch had 3 fertilized eggs in it.

My son is super responsible and only handled the eggs carefully a couple times. We weren't expecting this, so didn't have a nest box, but both birds were incubating the eggs VERY well on the bottom of the cage. They almost NEVER left the eggs. The male was definitely more likely to leave if you walked in the room (super social, popped off to say hello).

We added a little dish with a cloth. My son said Speckles seemed uncomfortable when she sat in it ... but she was sitting and in the same position as before. She still stayed on the eggs, we were just hoping it would be easier and more comfortable for her to keep the eggs under her.

They stopped sitting on them at very nearly the time for them to hatch. They are stone cold and have been for 3-4 days. They sit only a few minutes at a time now. We candled the eggs. One has a blood spot. The others look to have died at various stages in development ... maybe one at 10ish days and the other around 15 days. That's just a guess. They have intact air cells and no blood spots, but no movement and are super cold.

My questions are:

1) Thoughts on what happened?
2) How do we keep her from laying right away again? She can't be healthy after too many eggs (and they are on only a seed diet ... we can't convince them to eat anything else yet as seeds are what their previous owner gave them ... they do use the cuttlebone)
3) My son is so sad. We want to make it better next time. We live in a very dry place. How do we determine the humidity? Just stick a barometer in the room where the birds are? We did put a water dish at the bottom of the cage later on (she would get wet in her dish up high and that seemed a little awkward). Because we live in such a dry area, should we put a humidifier in the room?
4) How long should we leave the eggs in the cage? We don't want to have her lay again.

I probably have other questions, but these are good for a start. Thanks in advance.

#2 User is offline   Crazy Cute Cockatiels 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationUsa
  • tielskept:
    Two

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:34 PM

Buy fake wooden eggs. You can find them at craft stores. Put them there and let them sit until they lose interest. Removing the eggs triggers an instinct for the female to lay more. This drains her and could kill her as it is exhausting on her. Alternatively leave the eggs there until you can get fake eggs.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users