Mister or Sister? Hehe

#1 User is offline   TaylorAnn 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationNewcastle
  • tielskept:

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

Hi everyone. I just got my new pet cockatiel 2 days ago. The man I bought her/him from said that she/he is 5-7 months old. So far, I haven't been able to get much of an idea on the sex from any behavior because he/she is still settling in and been a bit quiet. Last night he/she sang a little bit... And they chirp back when we whistle or play cockatiels singing on Youtube. The guy said that the bird is a female but I'm still not sure. Is it possible that it's still too soon to tell? How can I know if he/she has already had the first molt? The crest is a bright yellow as you can see. He/she has the white dots under the wings, but there isn't much barring on the tail. The tail feathers look really old, some of them are split. I wonder if they're old and ratty looking because the bird hasn't had the first molt?

I'm not too fussed either way, I would just like to be able to name her/him and I feel like I could bond better with my birdie if I knew what gender they were.

Thanks for your time :)/>/>/>

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by TaylorAnn: 03 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

Chippy - Grey Pied Male

Ellie - Cinnamon Female. *RIP little one. We held you for a short time, but you will live on in our hearts forever*

Ruby - Cinnamon Female. Ellie's sister :)

#2 User is offline   TaylorAnn 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • LocationNewcastle
  • tielskept:

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

http://www.flickr.co...N03/9661013459/

The tail feathers
Chippy - Grey Pied Male

Ellie - Cinnamon Female. *RIP little one. We held you for a short time, but you will live on in our hearts forever*

#3 User is offline   TaylorAnn 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • LocationNewcastle
  • tielskept:

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:14 PM

Oh and just before he/she started beaking and rattling the mirror in the cage...
Chippy - Grey Pied Male

#4 User is offline   bob_namitch 

• Tiel Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • tielskept:

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:41 AM

I think you'll have to be patient. My tiels are only 5 and 6 months old and I don't know what sex they are. Like yours they chirp quite sweetly and make lots of noise in a morning when I sit next to the cage with my cup of tea. Indicating they want to come out to play, but until after the first moult it's very difficult to tell. Your lovely tiel is a pied and that makes it even more difficult because even in adult plumage the sexes can still look alike. Not much help am I? You could do what my grand children have done regarding naming your tiel. They have christened my tiels Puffernut and Snowy so it really doesn't matter what sex they are as the names are not gender specific. Like you say it doesn't really matter they are such great company either way. I love just watching mine playing in the cage with their toys and when they come out they climb about all over me, they have such big personalities for such tiny birds. Boy or girl, just enjoy!

#5 User is offline   Paul 

• Gold Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationHazelbrook, NSW Australia
  • tielskept:

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:01 AM

View PostTaylorAnn, on 03 September 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

Oh and just before he/she started beaking and rattling the mirror in the cage...

Hello TaylorAnn :hello: and :welcome: to Totally Tiels. As Bob mentioned, it is difficult to visually sex a pied tiel. Given the extra information you've given about beaking and rattling the mirror, this is what we call beak banging which is done by male cockatiels. It would be great if you could catch him doing this on video just to be sure.

Posted Image

For Lovers Of Tiels

Posted Image Posted Image

#6 User is offline   TaylorAnn 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • LocationNewcastle
  • tielskept:

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

Thanks for your replies Bob and Paul. I guess I'll just have to wait and see from the behavior. Right now he doesn't have much personality, I guess because he's still working out where he is. The beak banging wasn't like what I've seen on videos, it was more like he was aggressively attacking the mirror. So it probably doesn't mean anything. I'm calling him a he now, because I have a feeling that it's a boy. Today he started whistling, I'll post a video. Is it likely that a female would whistle like this? I played it back to him later on and he started mimicking the noise but added a few extra notes.

Chippy Whistling

Oh and I have decided to name him Chippy, that way if he turns out to be a girl it won't sound too bad :)/>

Also, is there a way to tell if a bird has already had their first moult?

Thanks so much again for your help

Taylor and Chippy
Chippy - Grey Pied Male

#7 User is offline   bob_namitch 

• Tiel Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • tielskept:

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

Having seen the video of chippy, I am 99.9% certain Chippy is a boy. He'll start settling down after a few weeks and then you'll see his personality coming out daily it's very rewarding to see this and he'll start to bond with you and will respond really well if you give him loads of attention, like talking to him and whistling to him and giving him treats (mine love lafer nutri berries). Is he tame or are you having to tame him down.
Regarding him having had his first moult I would hazzard a guess that he has, my reason for this is that the way he sings means he is of an age where the first moult has probably happened. He's a real cutie, lucky you :thumbsup:

#8 User is offline   TaylorAnn 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • LocationNewcastle
  • tielskept:

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:06 PM

Oh I am happy that you think he is a boy. He's just so very quiet most of the time, so I thought maybe a girl,but today when he started whistling and then mimicking his own whistle, I started to lean more towards boy. He is tame, he will step up onto my finger, but he doesn't like doing it at all. He will run around the cage before finally giving up and stepping on my finger lol. I've been giving him loads of attention, talking to him throughout the day and taking him with me wherever I go in the house. He likes millet sprays, it took him awhile to try it though so I don't think he's ever had them before. But today I discovered that he LOVES Bottle Brush buds. I picked some branches of that as well as eucalyptus for him and he went wild for the bottle brush. I can't wait to see what else he likes :) thanks so much for your help Bob.
Chippy - Grey Pied Male

#9 User is offline   bob_namitch 

• Tiel Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • tielskept:

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

Chippy is likely to be quiet for a couple of weeks or so just while he gets things weighed up in his mind then he'll come out of his shell. I'm amazed how clever these little birds are. My second tiel Snowy, I bought as a baby straight from the aviary and he/she had never been handled, but being very young she didn't bite at all but was nervous of hands. After a few weeks seeing Puffernut coming out of the cage she now hops to the perch nearest the door as soon as I sit next to the cage and when the door is opened she climbs onto my hand straight away. Her desire to come out has soon taught her there's nothing to be frightened of and when out she climbs all over me. I didn't force her to do any of those things she just decided of her own accord and in her own time. However she did have Puffernut to copy and he was hand reared and so tame from the word go. So you may have to do some coaxing initially to get chippy to come out of the cage, but once he's learned he should be no problem.

#10 User is offline   TaylorAnn 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • LocationNewcastle
  • tielskept:

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:35 PM

Oh wow that is great that Snowy has picked it up really quickly! It makes it a lot easier that Puffernut(love the name by the way) has basically taught Snowy how to be tame. I have no doubt that Chippy is definitely a boy now. He started beak banging just before. He looked like a woodpecker lol. I'm so happy. I originally wanted a female, but after I got him, I started thinking about how it would be nice to have a boy for the singing. Plus I had a girl tiel when I younger, so it will be nice to experience what a boy is like. I love the way boys strut around and do their heart wings. So cute!
Chippy - Grey Pied Male

#11 User is offline   bob_namitch 

• Tiel Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • tielskept:

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:41 PM

I'm hoping I've got a boy and a girl, not particularly because I want to breed them as I haven't really got room, but it just seems that having two tiels it would be nice if they were one of each, but realistically I don't really care. Puffernut is a name that my grand children took from a book I read to them called 'Puffernut flies South' which is about a tiel that escapes from his cage and the adventures he has trying to find his way home again.

#12 User is offline   Paul 

• Gold Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationHazelbrook, NSW Australia
  • tielskept:

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:03 AM

Definitely male. Besides his whistling, he's also got the male 'strut' as he whistles, and now beak banging.

Posted Image

For Lovers Of Tiels

#13 User is offline   I.love.tiels 

• Bronze Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationAustralia
  • tielskept:

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

It's a boy. :)

#14 User is offline   TaylorAnn 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • LocationNewcastle
  • tielskept:

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

Thanks so much everyone. I'm so in love with my little guy already. He sings every morning (the same tune over and over, with slight variations, it's stuck in my head now lol). It's such a nice sound to wake up to :)
Chippy - Grey Pied Male

#15 User is offline   JoeR 

• Bronze Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationUnited States
  • tielskept:

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

Glad you are enjoying him!

Joe
Don't let my big mouth and strong opinions fool you. I'm a total rookie at raising cockatiels.

#16 User is offline   TaylorAnn 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • LocationNewcastle
  • tielskept:

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

I definitely am Joe :)

I have another question that I hope someone will be able to answer. The ad for Chippy said that he was handreared... When we drove to pick him up, the guy who breeds them wasn't there, but his Dad was. He had to pick him up out of the cage (didn't let him step up). Chippy was screetching because of that obviously, but the guy just said that he was like that because he doesn't have much to do with them, his son is the one who looks after them. He doesn't seem as tame as what I was expecting though. He will step up onto my finger but he doesn't like it. He goes nuts and climbs around his cage to avoid it. If I have him out and his cage is in view he will fly back to it. If I put my hand near him when he's out he will sometimes hiss at it and bite, it's only a really gentle bite though.

I don't know, I know he is still adjusting to life with a different family and probably just scared. I'm just going off my experience with another cockatiel I had. She was so tame from the very start. I didn't really trust the guy who was there when we picked him up either. The ad said between $70-$85 and when I got there he could tell that I was really interested in Chippy so he said he was $90 because of his colouring! He's only really lightly pied, not a rare colour or anything. I had only brought $85 with me and told him so, and he got snappy with me... Now I'm wondering if they really handreared him or not?
Chippy - Grey Pied Male

#17 User is offline   bob_namitch 

• Tiel Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • tielskept:

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

Puffernut was hand reared and when I got him he was only 8 weeks old so a real baby and was very quiet and would go to anyone. However as he has got older he has bonded to me and doesn't want anything to do with anyone else but me. Chippy is clearly a little older and therefore has maybe got very close to the person that raised him, but don't worry I'm sure he will settle down and become friends with you. It will just take a few weeks for him to start to bond. As for the price, I can't help you there as I'm in the UK and I paid 70 pounds for Puffernut as a hand reared bird and I paid 50 pounds for Snowy as she is an Albino and so more rare although not hand reared. Don't worry about the attitude of the man you bought Chippy from, I don't suppose Chippy will turn out like him, they are usually much nicer.

#18 User is offline   TaylorAnn 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • LocationNewcastle
  • tielskept:

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

I only mentioned about the price because there was a price listed on the ad, but then he tried to charge me more when he saw that I was interested in Chippy. I just got a vibe that he wasn't very trustworthy and it makes me wonder if Chippy has been tamed as much as he should have been... Either way, we're starting to make some progress. I was feeding him sunflower seeds by hand today. Cheeky bugger wouldn't accept them to begin with unless I was looking away and not making eye contact with him. After awhile he was readily accepting them :). It's so hard to restrain myself from trying to scratch his little head and cuddle him lol. He's just so cute! But I have to keep reminding myself to take it slow... I think we're on our way to getting some trust between us though, otherwise I don't think he would accept food directly from my hand.

I'm so glad I found this forum, everyone is so nice and I've found out heaps of things I wouldn't have known otherwise. If I hadn't of read up about it, I would have thought it was okay to feed Chippy the bird seed mix from the supermarket and to not worry too much about fruit and vegies. Now I know that he'll be healthiest if he's fed pellets and a wide range of fresh food. I also didn't realize that they needed to sleep so much. He goes to bed at about 8 now and we take his cover off at 8 in the morning... I'm so happy I know all this so my little guy can have the healthiest and best life possible :)

I put some more photos up if anyone would like to see them :)

http://www.isalde.co...ome-boy-chippy/
Chippy - Grey Pied Male

#19 User is offline   JoeR 

• Bronze Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationUnited States
  • tielskept:

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

If you can get him to step up at all, you are doing well so far. Taming from here should just be a matter of building trust. The hissing and diving is a defensive move because it is scared of you. Treats are a good method of bribery to get birds to think of hands as a good thing.

Joe
Don't let my big mouth and strong opinions fool you. I'm a total rookie at raising cockatiels.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users