Resistive to Weaning Hand Feeding

#1 User is offline   CeeCee 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationIllinois
  • tielskept:

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:00 AM

Am having difficulty with weaning a lone tiel...Rocky is about 8 weeks old, was a lone baby and we pulled him at about age 4wks. I have never handfed/weaned cockatiels before but am pretty experienced with conures. This baby perplexes me!!! He is nibbling on pellets, millet, parakete seed and fresh chopped veggies and sprouts---but NIBBLING is the key word here. He still demands full handfeeding EVERY 2-3 hours during day---cries excessively until fed. He is getting 10-12cc per feeding, crop is full...poop is good, not watery or too pasty, good color, not excessive. Growth is good---was a bit behind when we pulled him but has caught up. I understand that he may not want to wean for another few weeks, BUT why am I having to still feed him every 2-3 hrs??? (Am also feeding 4 sun conures that are 5wks old and they are good with every 5-6 hrs) Guess am just wondering if this is normal for some tiels or if something might be wrong. Thanks in advance.

#2 User is offline   Paul 

• Gold Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationHazelbrook, NSW Australia
  • tielskept:

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:31 AM

Hello CeeCee :hello: and :welcome: to Totally Tiels :D

OK, every 2-3hrs is WAY too much. That's how much you would feed a 1wk old chick. It will be very hard to wean him whilst he gets fed formula that often. Can you tell me how much he weighs? With cockatiels, you should be feeding them in accordance to their weight. Have a look at this topic: http://www.isalde.co...ed-your-chicks/ .
Are you allowing the crop to completely empty once every 24hrs? At 8wks, he should almost be completely weaned or maybe on one feed per day, but if he's getting fed every 2-3hrs, you won't be able to drop him down to one feed over night, so you can try and cut them back gradually.
For now, I would cut him down to 4 feeds at the same time each day, say 7am, 11am, 3pm & 7pm and each feed should be measured according to his weight, so if he's 90grams, I would mix his formula in 9cc's of hot water. Always the 1/10 rule for his feeds.
That's all for now. Hope to hear back from you soon.
ps. Do you have any pics of him?

Posted Image

For Lovers Of Tiels

Posted Image Posted Image

#3 User is offline   CeeCee 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • LocationIllinois
  • tielskept:

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

Exactly what I mean he is eating WAY too much, but if I don't feed him he literally screams himself into exhaustion! I have moved him to our juvenile bird room so the handfeeding supplies and babies are not in line of sight, though he still hears me when I am prepping for or feeding our other babies. I also have been trying to give him more attention not around feeding times and having other family memebers handle him. He weighs 83gms, so not a chubby baby. And yes, his crop is emptied...usually check every time.

Basically I think he is emptying too fast, yet is not eliminating it at the same rate--but again feces appears normal. Using Kaytee.

Attached File(s)

#4 User is offline   Paul 

• Gold Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • tielskept:

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:20 AM

Hey CeeCee, how are you & Rocky going with the weaning now?

Posted Image

For Lovers Of Tiels

#5 User is offline   CeeCee 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • LocationIllinois
  • tielskept:

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

View PostPaul, on 02 November 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

Hey CeeCee, how are you & Rocky going with the weaning now?

UGH!!!! Have him down to 8cc in AM and mid day and 10cc at night. He still whines all the time, but is eating some and maintaining weight btwn 80-83g. Been having husband feed first two feedings of day and we are handling him more when it is not feeding time. Whenever he sees me he starts the begging whine. Poor guy is the odd bird out as all our other babies (sun conures) are either months ahead of him or too young for him to hang with. I have an older male cockatiel that I let him sit by whiled both are caged--the male is grumpy with any other birds.

Lesson relearned though with buying breeders from people we don't know... The pair we have we will be breaking up after we pull the last two babies they have are pulled next wk...feeling they are so inbred that that's part of the problem. Rocky is SMALL, now that fully feathered has huge bald spot...Rocky was their first baby with us...

Am hoping that in another couple weeks he will be done! (11+wks now) He is a sweetie pie though!!! :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by CeeCee: 03 November 2013 - 08:21 AM

#6 User is offline   Paul 

• Gold Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • tielskept:

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:32 AM

Is he eating seed yet? It might be a good idea to put him in with the older male to socialize with and maybe learn to be more self sufficient. I would also recommend cutting the night feed by 1cc per day until it's cut out altogether.

Posted Image

For Lovers Of Tiels

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users