#1 User is offline   Sarah 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationAdelaide
  • tielskept:

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:16 PM

Hi :)/>
I've got a white faced, pied cockatiel, who I was told is a boy. I am not so sure.
I've been allover the Internet but can't find a decent description of the difference between male and females of this particular mutation.
If there's anyone with experience who can tell me what physical characteristics can be used to distinguish males from female, or any other ways that you know of, it would be muchly appreciated!

Sarah :)/>

Oh! And he's 3 months old.

This post has been edited by Sarah: 27 October 2013 - 06:17 PM

#2 User is offline   bob_namitch 

• Tiel Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • tielskept:

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:35 PM

My understanding of the white faced pied mutation is that they are completely white just like an albino except they have dark eyes and not red like the albino. I've got an all white tiel that I think is an albino as in some lights the eyes look slightly dark red but in others they just look dark so he/she could be a white faced pied. And like you I have no idea if my tiel Snowy (I know, not very original for a white tiel, but my grand daughter named him/her)is a boy or a girl as Snowy is still very young so hasn't really started showing any obvious gender specific behaviour. Do you have any pictures of your tiel that may help the more experienced tiel owners to give you an idea of gender?

#3 User is offline   Paul 

• Gold Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationHazelbrook, NSW Australia
  • tielskept:

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

View PostSarah, on 27 October 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

Hi Posted Image/>
I've got a white faced, pied cockatiel, who I was told is a boy. I am not so sure.
I've been allover the Internet but can't find a decent description of the difference between male and females of this particular mutation.
If there's anyone with experience who can tell me what physical characteristics can be used to distinguish males from female, or any other ways that you know of, it would be muchly appreciated!

Sarah Posted Image/>

Oh! And he's 3 months old.

Hi Sarah, if our tiel was just a whiteface, it would be easy to tell the difference between male & female but, because he/she is also pied, you will not be able to visually tell the difference. And it's the same for any other mutation that also has pied in it. You'll have to watch for it's non-visual characteristics like whistling and mimicking other sounds.

Posted Image

For Lovers Of Tiels

Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users