Totally Tiels: My new little companion!! :D - Totally Tiels

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My new little companion!! :D My new baby cockatiel, and help me name him!

#1 User is offline   Areiniah 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • LocationAustralia
  • tielskept:

Post icon  Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

Hello everyone,
Here are photos of my new baby hand raised cockatiel! I picked him/her (still unsure of gender) up two days ago. I am going to refer to 'him' as a 'he' from now on, just to make things easier haha. He is so tame and lovely, the breeder has really raised him well. When my family came round to meet him, they were all amazed at how relaxed he was around people, sitting contently on me and preening himself, they all exclaimed "Wow, he is SO much tamer and friendly than your previous cockatiel ever was!" even though my previous tiel was also 'hand raised'....I had been skeptical of that though haha. He prefers to be on my shoulder or on my partner than in his cage, it's actually hard to convince him to go back in! I find it strange because in all the behavioral sections of books I have read on cockatiel care, usually the information is on how to convince your tiel to leave his cage, but I'm having the opposite problem!
Though he loved being on me, he still won't let me pet him or give him scritches. I guess it's just a trust thing I need to keep working on? Though I would have thought that if he is so comfortable in being on me, he would be happy for me to pet him...I guess not!
He is settling in well, climbing isn't his strong point. His cage has two sides with purely horizontal bars, and two sides with mainly vertical and a few horizontal here and there. Everything in the cage isn't connected, as I wanted there to be ample space for stretching and I didn't want to make things so easy that he wouldn't get any climbing practice - but by no means are things HARD to get to. He keeps sliding down the vertical bars haha, and he is pretty unbalanced and clumsy. He has gotten more confident in climbing the horizontal bars though. I emailed the breeder about this, because I was concerned about his lack of climbing ability, but she said it's normal for babies as they are still learning, like a human baby slowly learns to crawl and walk. Hopefully soon he can get the hang of climbing!
I am still thinking of which name to settle on, my family and friends all think Chai suits him I would love to hear any suggestions from other's though! I'm getting a little fed up, now on day 3, of referring to him as 'little one' or 'the birdie' lol. Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here is the list of names I have come up with over the past month while 'cage shopping' and waiting to collect him Posted Image
Lemon
Toshi - "mirror reflection" or "year of plenty"
Anya
Ocha - Japanese tea
Anko - Red bean paste
Sumi - Japanese black ink used for caligraphy
Momo - Peach
Chou - Butterfly
Charlie
Archie
Mizu - Water
Seom - Island, Korean.
Yori - Trust
Macha
Davinchi
Miso
Kimchi
Tofu
Moon
Pastel
Cecil
Bear
Chai
Usagi
Kabuki
Pancake
Pumba
Yoshi
Toto
Custard
Grommit
Dante
Cloud
Posted Image
Posted ImageYou are Beautiful....Just the way You Are ♥ {Blog} Posted Image

#2 User is offline   razzmatazz 

• Tiel Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • LocationUSA
  • tielskept:
    one

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

What a precious little baby. I can see "personality" written on that little face! You have come up with some really neat names. Personally, I think the first name you chose fits him perfectly... Chai! :tiel:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users