#1 User is offline   mikey4363 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationBirmingham UK
  • tielskept:
    Flash

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:57 AM

Hello, I have two cockatiels. Ones normal grey other is white and grey. They are yet ungendered. What id like to know is do male and female tiels act generally the same til the react sexual maturity or not. I know male tiels are alot more vocal but does this start b4 or after maturity

#2 User is offline   foxylady29 

• Bronze Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationUnited States
  • tielskept:

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:38 AM

Hi mikey and welcome! According to the people on here, it sounds like it's very hard to tell. Some say that males are more verbal, but that's not a fast hard rule. You could get a DNA done. It only cost $20...well worth it. As for when verbal starts it just depends on your bird. They're like kids, they develop at their own pace. My baby is 9months and hasn't tried to talk. He only wolf whistles. If he never talks, that's okay with me. Good luck and welcome.

#3 User is offline   razzmatazz 

• Tiel Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUSA
  • tielskept:
    one

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

From the years I've homed tiels, I have found all birds have their own personality, and inherit traits from "mom and dad". Some are much more vocal earlier in their lives than others. I've found that females can be as loud as males, especially when they are going to lay eggs, but their verbal sounds are not the same as males. Males love to wolf whistle, whistle tunes, and can pick up many different sounds around their environment. My tiel, Sunny, barks like a dog. Evidently in his first home, there was a little dog, perhaps a yorkie, because it sounds just like one. He also loves to whistle Andy Griffith Song and Mickey Mouse Song, and says pretty bird. I cannot say for sure how old he is, but my Vet said he is rather young. Once your new babies get used to their environment, they will begin making "sounds". You may be pleasantly surprised what they may learn early on. I hope to see pics of them sometime. Welcome to the forum! :kissy:/>/>/>

This post has been edited by razzmatazz: 19 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

#4 User is offline   foxylady29 

• Bronze Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationUnited States
  • tielskept:

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

Hi razz! I'm so impressed with Sunny. He's so talented and funny. I wish you could video tape him doing some of that stuff and put it on you-tube. It'd be very popular. Curly is the one who whistles and talks. He does fair with Old MacDonald. However, he stopped saying anything for a long time and is now starting again. Oscar is about 10months. He hasn't said anything, but does a good wolf whistle. Occasionally I hear him experimenting with his whistler. They are such great companions that if they don't talk, it won't bother me. I just love them to pieces.

#5 User is offline   razzmatazz 

• Tiel Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUSA
  • tielskept:
    one

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:39 AM

Sunny is definitely a character. Tonight on the local news, NBC had a segment about several dogs being rehomed as part of a mission for Christmas, finding new owners and caregivers for them. Interviews were conducted with various new owners, and of course, the dogs were barking and making quite alot of noise. Sunny and Muffin were already covered up and in bed. I put my birds to bed about 5:00pm every night. I have found they are much happier the following day after a long nights rest. So, the dogs began barking on TV, and Sunny, started barking back at all of them!! :laugh: I'll see if I can get a video put on youtube sometime soon!

I have found that they can sing and whistle one day, and the next day be rather quiet. But they sure are entertainers, and I never know what they might think up from day to day. Even Muffin, is very intelligent, and makes many of the sounds that Sunny makes. He listens very carefully to Sunny, and will make the sounds in a little budgie voice, while Sunny is booming them out with his big cockatiel voice! They are in separate cage, that sit side by side, and between the two of them, I need not have to search for other entertainment for the day, that is for sure!

This post has been edited by razzmatazz: 26 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users