Fang and Cocky (advice needed)

#1 User is offline   Twitter 

• Fledging Tiel
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationStratford, NZ
  • tielskept:

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:54 AM

I spotted an advertisment in the supermarket, for a pair of 'tiels going cheap, so I went around to see what was up, and made arrangements to pick the birds up, and pay for them the next week. When I went back, it was to find out that the day before I got there, Cocky, a normal grey 'tiel had come out of the cage while it was being cleaned, and been tagged on both sides of the head by a kitten. He had made it through the night, but to my eye he looked unusually dopy, and was a lot more placid then he should have been. I picked the birds up, and took cocky to the vet's, to pick up some iodine, and get him checked over, but several hours later, he went into a convulsion and seizure, and as I lifted him out to make up a hot water bottle, he tucked his head into the crock of my elbow, and died.

Now, my concern is for Fang, a pretty cinamon 'tiel. He's not chatting, or singing, in spite of my Tobias's best attempts at talking to him, and I gave him the name Fang for a reason. His beak was very badly overshot (lower, over upper) to the point where it was starting to curl in, over the upper beak, and probably wasn't far off of locking his beak shut. I got this down to the point where it's pretty well back to length, but here, I noticed that Fang's lower beak is very badly cracked, which is why I would say it happened in the first place. I've given him a calcium bell, and a cuttlefish, and he doesn't seem to recognize what either of them are for, although he is eating again. So, what I was wondering was this - are there any foodsthat I can give hiim, or anything that I can do, to help his poor beak get back to normal? We have no avian vet's in the area, and I wouldn't trust the normal vet with something as delicate as this, when they don't know much about birds, beyond the basics.

I was thinking of giving him some chick starter food, alsongside his normal food, and maybe some eggshells mixed in, for the calcium, but beyond that, I'm not sure. I don't think that the origional owner knew too much about birds, or bothered with them much, beyond kerping them clean, because she was getting rid of them because she had expected a pair of tame birds, not a pair that she would have to work with. She didn't think to ask anything about their ages, or history when getting them, but Fang does look quite young, and his wings have been clipped on both sides.

Thank-you, for any advice regarding the beak.

#2 User is offline   Paul 

• Gold Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationHazelbrook, NSW Australia
  • tielskept:

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:51 PM

Hi Twitter and welcome back :hello:
I would stick with giving him calcium bells and cuttlefishas this will help keep his beak's length down. If it is currently really long, you can grind it down. I have one like that and about once a year I grind it down. I use a hand held engraver with a grinding attachment and it doesn't seem to bother him.

Posted Image

For Lovers Of Tiels

Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

#3 User is offline   razzmatazz 

• Tiel Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUSA
  • tielskept:
    one

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:53 AM

I'm so sorry that your precious little tiel died. You really didn't even get a chance to learn to know him. May he rest in peace!

Here is my view and take on feeding calcium to tiels. I always have a cuttle bone in my birds cages, as well as a mineral block. For birds like Fang, I would buy some fresh raw veggies, such as leaf lettuce (not head lettuce, because due to its water content, it can give birds loose droppings), cilantro, broccoli, carrots, and kale and/or swiss chard. Kale and swiss chard both are loaded with natural calcium. I also feed some pieces of whole wheat bread to my birds.

Some owners don't feed fresh veggies and other foods, but only seeds and/or pellets or a combination of the two. I am not a fan of pellets and would not feed them to my birds. The seed mix I use is all natural, and has no additional additives or other fillers in it. I truly believe that these fresh foods enhance a tiel's diet and only serves to make them healthy. If you are not feeding pellets, I would also recommend to put a couple of drops of birdy vitamins in the seed (not the water, because it can cause water to go rancid), about once every 10 days.

Cooked sweet potatoes are also excellent to feed, as well as cooked brown rice or white rice. Some folks say white rice is too high carb and too much sugar, but I do not agree with that opinion. You might also consider making a "birdy mash". Take all of the foods I spoke about, throw in some fresh cooked hen eggs shells, and some of the cooked egg (both yolk and white), perhaps a few pieces of raw apple that has been washed and peeled, maybe a little piece of banana, even some hot pepper seeds. Put all of this mix in a food processor, or a food chopper and chop fine. Then feed it on a plate on the age floor, or in a bigger food cup in other areas of the cage. I always take out any unused mash about 2 hours max after I offer it, so there will be no bacteria forming on the fresh foods.

Some folks also feed homemade birdy bread they have made. You can google: cockatiel birdy bread. OR birdy bread for birds. You also could google "birdy mash" for birds". You should get some great suggestions that way.

It will take awhile for your bird to begin eating the fresh foods, but don't lose heart, and just keep offering them to him/her. You also can take the birdy mash and put some in plastic bags and keep it in the freezer, using a sack whenever you need it.

There is a website called Cockatiel Cottage that has tons of information about cockatiels. There will be a list of good foods to feed and "no no" foods that we must never feed our little babies.

Welcome to the forum, and I wish you the best with your new little cinnamon tiel. I hope to see pics of him/her one day soon.

#4 User is offline   Twitter 

• Fledging Tiel
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationStratford, NZ
  • tielskept:

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:33 PM

Just want to say thanks, for both condolences, and advice. As fas as feeding goes, I've never fed pellets, even though people rave about them. If cockys were meant to eat them, then I think they'ed grow on trees. And I always offer greens (weetgrass, normal grass, dandylion, chickweed and the such., as well as the occasional weetbix treat. Will definetely try mashing foods together, and birdy bread too . I juat want to keep strain on that veak tp a minimum., you know.?

Anyway, thanks.

#5 User is offline   razzmatazz 

• Tiel Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUSA
  • tielskept:
    one

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:04 AM

You are very welcome! I'm on the same page with you about pellets. I won't feed them either. It sounds like you are already offering great greens to them. I'd like to see your post after you make some mash, and share with us what you put in it, and if the birds like it. If you find any good recipes for either the mash or the bread, I would be interested in them as well.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users