#1 User is offline   mikey4363 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationBirmingham UK
  • tielskept:
    Flash

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

Hi guys. Ive had a cockatiel before when I was younger and he was a great pet came when I called him loved being outside his cage made him a perch to sit on near my desk and he basically lived on it. Ive got two new cockatiels. I got two so they had some company. Anyway these two don't seem to like leaving their cage they will come out but will usually go back in after a few minutes. Ive had them since just before Christmas. So they are pretty used to being around me and do make various noises when im around. Is moving there food out of the cage a good way to coax them out. Im assuming they will be able to find it once ive moved it.

#2 User is offline   razzmatazz 

• Tiel Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUSA
  • tielskept:
    one

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:39 AM

How old are your tiels? Were they living together before you got them? Are they a bonded/mated pair? Sometimes a mated pair will be quite content to just be with each other in their cage. One idea for you to try would be to get some millet sprigs and some treats such as a honey seed stick. I would put those on the door opening if the door flips down so they walk on it to get out, or put both on top of the cage. You also could put some fresh veggies like broccoli, carrots, lettuce, kale, etc. on a plate on the cage top. You may have to chop them up or make smaller pieces so they can eat them better. That might perk their interest to come out. Another suggestion would be to get a "play gym" for them. You could put seeds and treats on the bottom tray of the play gym. They might like that gym so much they would fly right to it more often, and that would keep them out of cage for quite awhile. You could also put the fresh veggies, millet sprigs and the honey seed treats on the play gym tray as well. I've seen some neat setups on Youtube of owners using play gyms for many different items, including the foods/seeds

Time and patience are always on your side. You might consider going to Youtube and searching for "cockatiel clicker training". That should give you some information on how to train them that would enhance their out of cage time with you.

I hope this information is helpful to you. And I would love to see pics of your new babies!

This post has been edited by razzmatazz: 15 March 2014 - 01:58 AM

#3 User is offline   Kayla&Pearla 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • LocationOntario, Canada
  • tielskept:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:31 AM

Good advice, I need a playgym and was going too spend the $100 Canadian to get one.

I have 4 'tiels and need a newcage but do not have the space for the realy large dome toped one I have now and its reaaly imposible too clean and it always has a smell 10 years after getting the thing.

What is the minimum size cage for them. They get out several hours a day.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users