I can't believe my baby is gone :(

#1 User is offline   TaylorAnn 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationNewcastle
  • tielskept:

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:31 PM

Just 6 days ago we brought a sweet little girl cockatiel into our home and hearts. She is our second cockatiel after us getting Chippy back in September last year. We hoped that she would bring him out of his shell and teach him some good habits, and we also wanted a new baby to love. We named her Ellie.
In the short time that Ellie was here with us, she completely stole our hearts. She always wanted to be on us. If I was standing and she was on the ground, she would stand on my foot and try to climb up my leg. She took to us straight away. She had the sweetest little chirp. Ellie loved being scratched around her head, and would just sit there and let us do it for ages. Within a day of her being here, she had influenced Chippy to start eating pellets and vegetables, something that he had never done before. I was looking forward to spending many years with this sweet little bird.

This morning my boyfriend woke up to get ready for work. As usual, he took the cover off the cage to get the birds out, and Ellie was just lying at the bottom. I heard her chirp her little hello as he picked her up. I took her in my hands and she was cold and a little stiff. I held her to my chest to keep her warm and my boyfriend called the vet and made an appointment. She was so stiff and her head was bent backwards slightly. She was just lying on her side or her back looking at me. Before long she started having seizures every now and then, flapping all over the place. We took her to the vet and they admitted her. After weighing her, they discovered that she only weighed 58g, a really low weight for a 5 month old cockatiel. They put her in birdy ICU and started crop feeding her with glucose. We left her there in their hands, hoping that she would be okay.

About two hours ago, I received the call letting me know that our little Ellie has passed away. I'm so devastated and can't stop crying. I can't believe that this sweet little creature came into our lives less than a week ago, and she has taken hold of me so hard, that her loss has affected me so badly. I guess this is the power of the cockatiel. They don't know what was wrong with her. We could get an autopsy, but I don't think we will. I don't like the thought of her being cut open. We will pick her up this afternoon and take her somewhere nice and quiet to bury her.

I feel like a failure, because I took this bird into my care and in less than a week she is dead. Can't help wondering if it was something I did. I can't console myself by saying that I gave her a good life filled with love, because I didn't have her long enough to give her all the love I wanted to.

I've notified the breeder and she said that we can go pick out another bird when we are ready. I know most people can't even contemplate getting a new pet soon after yours has died, and nothing can replace Ellie, but I feel the need to have a little bird perched on me, to scratch their little head and hear their chirps. I think it would help me feel better and heal me from this. I can't stand seeing her empty cage sitting there with no one in it. It feels strange not having a little feathered friend wanting to constantly chill out on me. Maybe it's because I didn't have her for very long that it's easy to think of getting another bird straight away. I don't know. I will see how I feel over the next few days, but for now I am just going to mourn my little sweetheart and imagine her flying through the bush with all the other cockatiels who have passed on

RIP Ellie 25.11.13 - 21.3.14

Attached File(s)

Chippy - Grey Pied Male

Ellie - Cinnamon Female. *RIP little one. We held you for a short time, but you will live on in our hearts forever*

Ruby - Cinnamon Female. Ellie's sister :)

#2 User is offline   razzmatazz 

• Tiel Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUSA
  • tielskept:
    one

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:49 AM

I'm so sorry for you, TaylorAnn, that your precious little baby tiel has passed away. My heart hurts for you, as I know how heart broken you are. Yes, tiels can wrap us around their heart in just a glance. Many times when I have brought a tiel home with me, I was "in love" with that little tiel by the time I brought him/her home to their new cage.

I know it is very easy to blame yourself for this happening, but my thought is to please do not do so. From what you have written about Ellie, she was acting like any new baby tiel would. She was eating, drinking, interacting with you, loving to be held, and even influencing Chippy with her "bright Spirit". Sometimes birds have genetic "defects", that not even a breeder will be able to detect in them when they are first hatched. Since Ellie was five months old, apparently she had been well taken care of prior to you receiving her into your home. I would think the breeder you got her from would have kept a record of any need for her to be evaluated by a Vet for any illness, before you got her. And it definitely is rare that a young tiel like Ellie, would suddenly pass away.

I think you are wise to not have the necropsy (autopsy). I feel there really is no possible way that you could have done one thing in six days to cause her death. You were taking care of her just like any one of us would have, and she was very happy with Chippy and with you and your boyfriend. At this point in time, Ellie is at peace and flying high over the rainbow bridge. Once you find that perfect burial place for her, you can put flowers on her little grave, and even visit her if you wish to. And always remember that her little Spirit will always be with you in your heart and your home.

I am in great support for you to find another tiel. I know some folks would want to wait awhile. But my thoughts would be exactly as yours are. Your heart is already empty with her passing, and Chippy and you and your boyfriend, need to fill that empty place in your home as soon as possible. I am pleased to read that the Breeder has offered to replace her. Each little bird and tiel are special and have their own personality. Ellie was truly a special little bird from what you have written about her. But when you bring your next tiel home, I am very sure you will bond with that one, and have a special feeling for it as well, in a different way of course, because like humans, all birds have their very own way to touch our hearts.

I am sending you a big hug, TaylorAnn. Thank you for sharing your story with us and the precious pictures of Ellie. I am hopeful you can soon find another baby tiel to bring to your home, and when you do, I'd love to hear all about him/her, as well as seeing pics of both the new baby and Chippy. Do stop by the forum often and update us on how Chippy is doing as well. Chippy will definitely miss Ellie, even though they were only together six days. I would suggest you give some extra attention to Chippy now, because you may notice that he is more quiet and withdrawn. Birds communicate with each other, as Nature has created them to do. I will be keeping you and your boyfriend in my prayers as you mourn the loss of Ellie! <3/> <3/>

This post has been edited by razzmatazz: 22 March 2014 - 03:50 AM

#3 User is offline   Paul 

• Gold Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationHazelbrook, NSW Australia
  • tielskept:

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

I'm very sorry for your loss TaylorAnn. :( Posted Image Ellie Posted Image

Posted Image

For Lovers Of Tiels

Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

#4 User is offline   rico24 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Locationuk
  • tielskept:
    1 :-)

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:03 AM

Sorry to hear ur sad news.
I hope you are feeling a bit better
X

#5 User is offline   TaylorAnn 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • LocationNewcastle
  • tielskept:

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:38 PM

Thank you for your lovey replies everyone. It is so hard to admit this, but it is most likely our fault that Ellie passed away. A few days after she passed, we found a soy wax melt just underneath a cupboard that had been chewed on and had little flakes around it on the floor. Ellie was a little explorer, and I feel in my heart that she chewed on that melt and it poisoned her, or the wax blocked her up. We feel terrible of course, it was a complete accident that we could have prevented if we knew the thing was on the ground for her to access. Poor baby. She knew we loved her though. I can still picture her little face looking up at me when she was ill, there was love in those eyes <3

After we picked her up from the vet, we went into the bush to find a nice place to bury her, but we couldn't find anywhere that felt right. If we owned our house we would have put her in the backyard, but we have to move from our rental soon, so we decided to get her cremated. I couldn't just leave her somewhere that didn't feel right, even if she was only a part of our lives for 1 week.

Now for some good news, we got another baby on Thursday night. Her name is Ruby, and she is Ellie's sister. She hasn't taken to us as well as Ellie, but she just needs some time. She is a funny looking little thing, I'll have to post some pictures. She has HUGE eyes, and they're a very strange colour. Chippy is over the moon and in love. They were making out birdy style today lol. He was definitely affected by Ellie's death, he was very quiet all week, but he seems so much happier now that he has a new friend. :tielkiss2:

Once again, thank you all for your nice replies, it truly means a lot!
Chippy - Grey Pied Male

Ellie - Cinnamon Female. *RIP little one. We held you for a short time, but you will live on in our hearts forever*

Ruby - Cinnamon Female. Ellie's sister :)

#6 User is offline   razzmatazz 

• Tiel Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUSA
  • tielskept:
    one

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:34 AM

I think you made the totally perfect decision to have little Ellie cremated. I have a friend who also cremated her little lovebird a few years ago, and she says she knows that the presence of her little lovie is always in her home. She keeps the little cremation container in her home and did not bury it. Of course, that is a decision of the owner.

Accidents do happen to the best of caregivers when it comes to having birds in our homes. Cockatiels do love to explore when they are out of cage time. I am hopeful you will be able to put your guilt and blame aside, and know that Ellie is flying high over the Rainbow Bridge, and is not in any pain or suffering.

And congratulations on bringing home, Ruby. I'm so happy you decided to bring her to your home. And I will await pics. Since you say she has such big eyes, and rather strange coloring, I am excited to see her!

I also am excited to know that Chippy is over the moon in love with Ruby! I'm sure they will make a fantastic pair, and you have lots of joy, fun, and love ahead of you with those two! :tielkiss2:/>

This post has been edited by razzmatazz: 29 March 2014 - 01:35 AM

#7 User is offline   rico24 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Locationuk
  • tielskept:
    1 :-)

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:15 AM

Excited to see pics of your new addition :-)

Like razz said these things happen and its so sad but us pet people have to experience it :'(

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users