• Egg
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationBrisbane
  • tielskept:

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:10 AM

Hi All

My Teil Petal.

She was given to me by a friend who found her 2 years ago under neighbors truck almost dead. She is so quite and wolf whistles and more. Since I have had her she is always getting egg bound. Finally she was sitting on eggs in a co shared cage with other teils. I wonder why I hadn't seen her so I went to check her and she was so thin and almost dead. Paralyzed in one leg and toes couldn't stand up fell over to one side or toppled forward. I decided I would try and save her. I took her out of cage isolated her. Gave her some multi vitamins through syringe and crop fed her with neo-care adding Antibiotics to her food along with Vitamins. It was a battle as her poo was Black and Sticky like tar. All is normal after 2 weeks she is now perching eating seed and millet on her own and some crust of my toast each morning. Also a little mashed up apple. Drinks a lot of water and she shakes her head from side to side very quick. Can anyone tell me what sickness she had a dark secretion was coming from the bottom of her eyes. I keep sponging her with warm water around the head cleaning her behind when she get poo stuck to it. So far so good she is getting better day by day. I forgot I wormed her as well at the start of the sickness. Any Ideas and help would be appreciated to her on going care.

#2 User is offline   razzmatazz 

• Tiel Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUSA
  • tielskept:
    one

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

I'm so sorry to hear of Petal's illness. I sure admire you for your special care in saving her.

I have a few thoughts to share. I do want to say when I share my thoughts, they are my own opinions, and it always is up to the caregiver to decide what is best for their birds when it comes to their health and welfare.

Does Petal lay eggs all of the time and not just seasonal? When she gets egg bound, have you had to take her to the Vet, or have you had success of helping her to lay the egg. I am of the opinion she may need to have more calcium in her diet. Egg laying is very stressful for hen tiels (and all hens for that matter). And it depletes the calcium of their body. Often times a hen who is egg bound is in need of extra calcium. The egg shells are not solid enough for the hen to pass the egg. Or, the hen has laid so many eggs, her health is failing and she cannot push the egg out. Does Petal have cuttlebone and mineral block in her cage? Could you share with us what type of seed she is eating? Is it a seed that has vitamins and calcium in it as well as the seeds. Is it a seed mix that has pellets in it? Do you feed pellets to Petal at all?

I definitely am not a supporter of pellets. I am writing about pellets because when I read your post about Petal being paralyzed in one leg and her toes, and could not stand up, that information compelled me to make some remarks about pellets. It is well documented that pellets (if you are feeding them, even if they are in a seed mix), can cause neurological problems in tiels. Also, tiels that eat pellets must have plenty of water, and be encouraged to drink water during the day because pellets tend to dehydrate a bird. Pellets also can cause problems with tiels laying eggs, because from what I have read they sometimes enhance hormonal behavior in hens, which causes hens to lay eggs more often.

My thought about her poo is that if it was black and tarry, then that is blood in the stool. Humans who have blood in the intestine, will also pass that blood in the stool, and it too will be black and tarry. Further, I have never heard of worming a cockatiel. I have never heard of cockatiels having worms. And I have never seen any medications or worming meds for cockatiels either. Personally, I feel that Petal has a bacterial infection in her intestines, and also that has passed through her entire body so that the infection is showing itself by the dark liquid coming from her eyes.

Personally, I would not house her with any tiels now, but rather keep her in a separate cage indefinitely. And in my view, I think the next step for Petal would be for you to find an Avian Vet and have her completely examined. I do not like the sound of her head shaking. That too me may also be neurological. Cockatiels should not have poo that gets stuck to their bottom. Hens, especially when they are laying eggs, have loose and sometimes watery poops.

I don't know how long she was sitting on her eggs, before you checked on her. It really is a "miracle" that she has survived this ordeal up until now. I hope you will consider taking her to an Avian Vet or a Vet ASAP, and make the appointment immediately. I do feel it will give you peace of mind to have her evaluated, and you will have a better chance of her continuing to live with taking her for examination. Please keep us updated as to how Petal is doing. And thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

#3 User is offline   foxyglady 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • LocationIowa
  • tielskept:
    two

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

Hi Wise, Petal and razz! I too am very, very sorry for Petals illness. I agree with razz, if my boys had that stuff going on I'm afraid I would of completely lost it. You kept your cool and seemed to handle it pretty well. Razz, that was wonderful advice ( as usual ). I'm glad you said to take her to an Avian Vet. That'd be where I'd go immediately as I said before. I have little experience yet in Tiels and have no Vet yet, but have one available. Continue to keep a very close eye on your sweet Petal. Best of luck.

#4 User is offline   wiseowl 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • LocationBrisbane
  • tielskept:

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:23 AM

View Postrazzmatazz, on 03 April 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

I'm so sorry to hear of Petal's illness. I sure admire you for your special care in saving her.

I have a few thoughts to share. I do want to say when I share my thoughts, they are my own opinions, and it always is up to the caregiver to decide what is best for their birds when it comes to their health and welfare.

Does Petal lay eggs all of the time and not just seasonal? When she gets egg bound, have you had to take her to the Vet, or have you had success of helping her to lay the egg. I am of the opinion she may need to have more calcium in her diet. Egg laying is very stressful for hen tiels (and all hens for that matter). And it depletes the calcium of their body. Often times a hen who is egg bound is in need of extra calcium. The egg shells are not solid enough for the hen to pass the egg. Or, the hen has laid so many eggs, her health is failing and she cannot push the egg out. Does Petal have cuttlebone and mineral block in her cage? Could you share with us what type of seed she is eating? Is it a seed that has vitamins and calcium in it as well as the seeds. Is it a seed mix that has pellets in it? Do you feed pellets to Petal at all?

I definitely am not a supporter of pellets. I am writing about pellets because when I read your post about Petal being paralyzed in one leg and her toes, and could not stand up, that information compelled me to make some remarks about pellets. It is well documented that pellets (if you are feeding them, even if they are in a seed mix), can cause neurological problems in tiels. Also, tiels that eat pellets must have plenty of water, and be encouraged to drink water during the day because pellets tend to dehydrate a bird. Pellets also can cause problems with tiels laying eggs, because from what I have read they sometimes enhance hormonal behavior in hens, which causes hens to lay eggs more often.

My thought about her poo is that if it was black and tarry, then that is blood in the stool. Humans who have blood in the intestine, will also pass that blood in the stool, and it too will be black and tarry. Further, I have never heard of worming a cockatiel. I have never heard of cockatiels having worms. And I have never seen any medications or worming meds for cockatiels either. Personally, I feel that Petal has a bacterial infection in her intestines, and also that has passed through her entire body so that the infection is showing itself by the dark liquid coming from her eyes.

Personally, I would not house her with any tiels now, but rather keep her in a separate cage indefinitely. And in my view, I think the next step for Petal would be for you to find an Avian Vet and have her completely examined. I do not like the sound of her head shaking. That too me may also be neurological. Cockatiels should not have poo that gets stuck to their bottom. Hens, especially when they are laying eggs, have loose and sometimes watery poops.

I don't know how long she was sitting on her eggs, before you checked on her. It really is a "miracle" that she has survived this ordeal up until now. I hope you will consider taking her to an Avian Vet or a Vet ASAP, and make the appointment immediately. I do feel it will give you peace of mind to have her evaluated, and you will have a better chance of her continuing to live with taking her for examination. Please keep us updated as to how Petal is doing. And thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

Thank you for your advice. Petal has cuttle bone always in the cage and is topped up and checked on a regular basis. I haven't used the blocks but I will make sure I get some for all of them. Vets the next stop for her. I had some seed from a produce store but they didn't seem to like it as much as the wild parrot mix. Wild parrot mix is what they used to having. She gets up and down from the perch quite OK feeds her self as well. She has been used to having apple and other fruit and veggies as well. I have a variety of fruit I cut up for the Eky's and the Alex's so the teils and budgies get that as well. Yes I was so shocked at her survival as she was almost dead. I force fed her Neo 5 times a day direct into the crop. She got stronger and stronger. She is in a cage on her own the other teils she was with are all ok and showing no sign of illness. I cleaned out the main cage and used f10-sc as well. Also did the new cage which is cleaned out 2 times a day fresh water 3 times daily and light spray with f10 on the paper at the bottom of her cage.The birdseed i am using now is called AGM Premium Wild Bird Mix in a 20kg bag. She also has millet as well I always make sure there is a sprig or 2 in her cage which she loves plus a corner of my toast each morning. She is covered up during the night and sleeps on the perch. I also feel she may have some brain damage as she was extremely ill. If the vet had seen her straight of I believe he would have put her down. I will post a photo or 2 of her when she first got sick to now. I would like to clean her up can I bath her in Luke warm water dry her with hair dryer or should I leave her with just sponges for now. She has never reared any chicks she is always got egg bound but managed to pass them herself.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by wiseowl: 04 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

#5 User is offline   razzmatazz 

• Tiel Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUSA
  • tielskept:
    one

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:13 AM

Petal is a "miracle" tiel, to have been able to survive up to this point. The pictures of her completely tell the story of how very sick she was, and quite frankly, most probably is still in need of an Avian Vet or a Vet to have her checked out. Here in America, we do not feed "wild bird" seed to cockatiels or other parrots. The seed we purchase is labeled with such words as "cockatiel", budgie/parakeet", small parrot, big parrots, such as Amazon and other big species, and lovebirds/canaries.

From what I have researched the seed you are feeding your birds has lots of "grain" in the mix. There does not seem to be much of any kind of smaller seeds, such as canary, or oats groats, millet, etc. in the mix, that typically are in a cockatiel mix. Here in America, the seed mix often has some extra vitamins and Vitamin D in the mix as well. Maybe this is the practice of bird owners in your fair country to feed wild bird seed to cockatiels and other domesticated birds. Personally, I prefer to feed a bird mix with the seeds I mentioned, and other fresh veggies and other fruits. I do feel that fruits have lots of sugar in them, and therefore, I don't feed any foods with alot of sugar or salt content to my birds. Fresh veggies and the apples you mentioned are great to feed.

I would suggest you get a spray bottle and put some "warm/tepid" water in it and spray Petal a little. Be sure and not get the water in her eyes. That should make her skin feel much better and also, tiels just like to fluff their feathers and preen after the "spray bath". At this point I would not put her in any kind of dish or pan with water in it, because she could catch a cold. And right now, her immunity is very low from the illness she is battling. I would never use a hair dryer on my birds.

I would suggest when you take her to the Vet, and I truly hope you will do that soon. You also need to discuss a good diet for Petal, with the Vet. Also, discuss the history of her egg laying and the fact she is egg bound with each clutch she lays. To me, that seems to indicate her calcium levels are not as they should be because it is difficult for her to lay her eggs. And in my opinion, she needs a better seed diet than the "Wild Bird" seed. She needs fresh veggies and other good foods to bring her back to good health as well. However, do not take my suggestions and try them at this point in time. First of all the Vet needs to examine her carefully. They will most likely have an idea what diet she needs to bring her back to health. And as I had stated in my last post, I am not a supporter of pellets. If a Vet recommends them now, if I were you, I would shy away from them and find an excellent "cockatiel seed mix" for her, and discontinue the wild bird seed. I do not know what other kinds of birds you have, but again, according to the protocol of feeding seed mixes to domesticated birds in your fair country, I would want to get the proper seed for the respective species.

I noticed in my on-line research I did about this seed that it has sorghum in it. Sorghum is a sugar product, and I have to wonder if Petal had too much sugar in her diet, with you feeding her fruits as well. This could contribute to the imbalance problem she is experiencing, and further, I truly believe she picked up a very bad case of some sort of bacterial infection. I do not know what F10sc is either. If it is some sort of disinfectant, I would not be using it. I always use white vinegar and warm water to thoroughly clean my cages, and I do a thorough cleaning of my cages about once a month. Cockatiels are very sensitive to any chemicals that you might use around them, including essential oils, candles burning, cigarette smoke, pine cleaners and other pine products, teflon (that is almost always in any pans we use for cooking), bleach, and other cleaners we may find on store shelves.

I would suggest you go to a website called "cockatiel cottage". This website gives you all kinds of information about cockatiels, what to feed them, what not to feed them, and other information that will be very valuable to you as you move forward.

Thank you for posting the pics and your additional information. Petal is simply a beautiful little tiel. And she deserves to live after what she has been through. And in my own opinion, I feel that getting that Vet exam ASAP, will help assure she has a chance to live her life, and eat foods that are healthy, "just for her", and that will help to keep her alive.

This post has been edited by razzmatazz: 05 April 2014 - 03:42 AM

#6 User is offline   wiseowl 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • LocationBrisbane
  • tielskept:

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:20 AM

Again thank you so much for the great advice. F10-SC is Veterinary Disinfectant. Its supposed to be completely safe and non toxic for birds. I will get the seed you mention. The rest of my birds are. Lorikeets hand reared 3 of and Ecklectus Male and Female hand raised. 2 familys of teils that breed hand rared. Some more tiels together male and female 6 of. I have 3 Alexandrines 2 female sisters and one male all hand rared they are young birds not ready to breed with yet. I handle them all talk to them as they are all inside birds I do not cut wings so they can have fly time in the house which they love. They are my babies and part of the family.
I will go to the vet and keep her progress updated here. I got up uncovered her this morning and she was eating seed and nibbling on the millet sprig I have in there. I have multi vitamin for the water which I use regulary as the cuttle-bone.

#7 User is offline   razzmatazz 

• Tiel Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUSA
  • tielskept:
    one

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

Well, I must say you are a "bird lover" like I am. You have a very nice variety of different parrot species. And you have hand raised them as well. I know from reading your posts you care very deeply for all of them. Yes, they are "our babies" and are a part of our family. Right now I have one tiel and one budgie. Years ago, I had 13 total . . . 4 tiels and 9 budgies. I bred a pair of my budgies for the first and only time about 10 years ago. I was not ever expecting to breed birds, but I thought I had 5 males, and one Xmas, I was gone from my home for awhile, came back home, and all of the birds had been into a big fight. One of them even had a broken toe. Feathers everywhere. Luckily none of them were seriously injured. I could not figure out what they were fighting about. But Mother Nature being as "she/he" is, let me know a couple of days later when I found Nikki, one of the males, and Buttercup, the female (who I thought was a male), mating. So of course I took them out of the bigger cage all the budgies were in, gave them their own cage, and put in a nest box. And for the first time breeding, I was very lucky. I ended up with (4) of the sweetest little chicks. Two looked like mom and two looked like Dad. I had to downsize my flock a few years go because I moved to a smaller apartment complex and the lease I signed would only allow me to have two birds.

It is good that Petal is eating and drinking, and also nibbling on the millet. And apparently she is sleeping at night and getting a good nights rest. I have only one other suggestion that you can decide and that would be to put the vitamins you give your birds in the seed cup rather than the water cup. The reason for that is, vitamins can go "rancid" in the water and make the birds sick and give them a bacterial infection. I do not think that is the reason that Petal got sick though. Each night when I put my birds to bed I clean their food and water cups, wash them and get them ready for morning. I don't allow seed that has the vitamins in it to be used the next day. I give vitamins about every 10 days or so. Generally, I replace the seed everyday, because by the time the day is over, my birds pretty much eat all of the seed I give them for the day. I am retired, so I am home every day with them. And they are "spoiled". I clean them about 3 times a day. I use paper towel for the bottom of their cages instead of newspaper, because some newspapers can have toxic ink that is used for printing. And I am not a supporter of wing clipping either. I think God gave birds wings so they can fly and be happy in life.

I wish to say that I completely understand how you did not want to take Petal to the Vet, for fear they would tell you to have her put to sleep. And really, under the conditions she was placed in at the time, you did a marvelous job of keeping her alive and bringing her back to relatively good health. I presume you have a regular Vet that you take your birds to when they need care. One other suggestion I have is that anytime you take a bird to a Vet and are not completely convinced or satisfied of the evaluation they gave you, always remember you have the option of finding another Vet and getting a second opinion on the medical condition your bird may have. Looking at the pics of Petal, I certainly can empathize with you how your heart must have been broken seeing her like she was in those pics and being helpless as to what to do with her. Take care of your flock and Petal and enjoy all of them and give them all some scritches from me. And I am sending you a big hug as well. :hug:/>/>/>/> I hope to see your posts often, and to hear how Petal is doing. And also, I'd love to see pics of your whole flock.

This post has been edited by razzmatazz: 05 April 2014 - 11:01 AM

#8 User is offline   foxyglady 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • LocationIowa
  • tielskept:
    two

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:43 AM

View Postwiseowl, on 03 April 2014 - 08:53 PM, said:

Thank you for your advice. Petal has cuttle bone always in the cage and is topped up and checked on a regular basis. I haven't used the blocks but I will make sure I get some for all of them. Vets the next stop for her. I had some seed from a produce store but they didn't seem to like it as much as the wild parrot mix. Wild parrot mix is what they used to having. She gets up and down from the perch quite OK feeds her self as well. She has been used to having apple and other fruit and veggies as well. I have a variety of fruit I cut up for the Eky's and the Alex's so the teils and budgies get that as well. Yes I was so shocked at her survival as she was almost dead. I force fed her Neo 5 times a day direct into the crop. She got stronger and stronger. She is in a cage on her own the other teils she was with are all ok and showing no sign of illness. I cleaned out the main cage and used f10-sc as well. Also did the new cage which is cleaned out 2 times a day fresh water 3 times daily and light spray with f10 on the paper at the bottom of her cage.The birdseed i am using now is called AGM Premium Wild Bird Mix in a 20kg bag. She also has millet as well I always make sure there is a sprig or 2 in her cage which she loves plus a corner of my toast each morning. She is covered up during the night and sleeps on the perch. I also feel she may have some brain damage as she was extremely ill. If the vet had seen her straight of I believe he would have put her down. I will post a photo or 2 of her when she first got sick to now. I would like to clean her up can I bath her in Luke warm water dry her with hair dryer or should I leave her with just sponges for now. She has never reared any chicks she is always got egg bound but managed to pass them herself.

#9 User is offline   foxyglady 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • LocationIowa
  • tielskept:
    two

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

Wow, that's incredible! What a great job you did. Keep up the wonderful work and as razz said, an Avian Vet might be interested in your story and have some ideas of why she was so sick. Good luck. :thumbsup:

#10 User is offline   foxyglady 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • LocationIowa
  • tielskept:
    two

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:35 PM

Hi wiseowl, I'm really interested in how Petal's doing. When you have time, would you lets us know? I'm keeping good thoughts.

#11 User is offline   I.love.tiels 

• Bronze Post Award
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • LocationAustralia
  • tielskept:

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:47 AM

Hi, sorry to hear about Petal. How is she doing now? She is very pretty!

#12 User is offline   wiseowl 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • LocationBrisbane
  • tielskept:

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:39 AM

Petal is still doing well. She is now making her usual sounds sitting on the perch. See,s me eating toast so I have to share with her. Her bad leg has come good she now crabs the perch. She is sitting and moving around a lot more steady now. Eats seed, Millet and fresh Fruit as well. She sits on the kitchen table in a smaller cage so we keep an eye on her. She is covered up at night. She still fights on she is wonderful bird and gets lots of love from all in the house.

#13 User is offline   razzmatazz 

• Tiel Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationUSA
  • tielskept:
    one

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:30 AM

I'm so happy to hear that Petal is doing well. Thanks to your awesome care, she truly is a "miracle" baby! Thank you for the update.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users