New here with new baby!

#1 User is offline   LiveLaughLove 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationLand O Lakes, Florida
  • tielskept:

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:42 PM

Hello! My name is Jessica and we just welcomed a new baby tiel into the family. I grew up with a tiel and we got him when I was 8 years old. He lived 12 years. So now that my oldest daughter is 8, she is the proud new owner of a 9 week old Pied baby (and what I suspect) boy. Atleast I think he's pied lol

His name is Christoff, unfortunate for the bird that he is owned by 3 young little girls who is obsessed with Frozen. But in their defence, he does have totally awesome blonde "hair". His hatch date was June 10th and he was just weaned. We got him this past Saturday. He is eating seed good and already steps up like a pro.

One thing I did notice about him is that he seems to be nervous. I'm hoping it's just the new environment. He is okay sitting on my hand as long as it's somewhat level with my face and does well on my shoulder while walking around. But he wants nothing to do with head scratches and cuddling. Any idea how I can atleast get him to let me run my finger tips through that beautiful head of hair, errrr.... feathers? He starts to get all jumpy and then "fly" away which results in nothing successful since he's clipped lol. Then he rather go hanging out and cuddle with the living room blinds. I only know this because I've tried multiple times to get him to stay with me but those blinds win every time lol

I want my daughter to experience the bond I had with my bird. He did everything with me, even slept with me every night next to my pillow. I'm hoping she will get to have that same blonde with Christoff as I did with my bird.

Nice to meet you all!

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by LiveLaughLove: 13 August 2014 - 01:44 PM

#2 User is offline   Donnasjb 

• Tiel Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • LocationMelbourne
  • tielskept:

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

Hello, I don't have a lot of experience but my boy who has been with me for over 2years now ( he was a rescue) still does not like love. I hold him in my hand and do his feathers gently, but usually any opportunity and he flies off. But every now and again he will make progress like In the shower he flies to me and sits on my shoulder, in the office never sits at my desk only on his play gum. Yet the other day he flew to the back of my neck while I was at my computer. He takes great interest and curiosity when I am interacting with my other boy. I hope he will get friendlier, but progress is very slow with him. I think trust is a very big thing for these little guys, and once they have it, you will be fine.
Good luck and don't push him too quickly.
Donna

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users