Totally Tiels: Does anyone have cockatiels and cats/dogs? - Totally Tiels

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Does anyone have cockatiels and cats/dogs?

#1 User is offline   Skrub 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationRed bluff
  • tielskept:

Posted 18 July 2015 - 02:21 PM

Hello! I am soon to be getting a cockatiel and I have 2 wonderful cats (bottle babies) they think they are dogs more than cats so I am hoping I can introduce a cockatiel without too much stress. I know it will be a lot of work! I think it would be worth it though. Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to make this as pain free as possible?

This post has been edited by Skrub: 18 July 2015 - 02:22 PM

#2 User is offline   Donnasjb 

• Tiel Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • LocationMelbourne
  • tielskept:

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:32 PM

It's hard to say, it depends who is in charge and what boundaries they have. I have had dogs first then cats joined the family lastly birds. I am definitely the boss., they all knew their boundaries. I had taken to sleeping on the floor in my bedroom on a mattress because my cat Had just had a stroke and wasn't able to climb on the bed anymore, anyway this particular day I had my cockatiel out of the cage she was in bed with me, just walking around the pillow and up and down me. I was sort of asleep but I knew she had gone down to my feet area, she suddenly had her wings spread and was on guard. I looked over at the door and my cat was just sitting there in a relaxed way and had no intention of coming in because the bird was free. He just knew not to come in while she was out of her cage. This cat was a rescue and had not grown up with the birds. Lots of hard work and patience and boundaries, just like if you brought a new baby into the home, you would teach dogs and cats to stay back and not get in the baby's' personal space. Good luck and just watch them at all times to reprimand when needed.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users