Totally Tiels: Hi! and I have a few questions being a new tiel owner - Totally Tiels

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hi! and I have a few questions being a new tiel owner

#1 User is offline   Shawna 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationNew York
  • tielskept:

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:14 AM

I was given 2 5 year old cockatiels from my grandmothers friend who was moving. As far as I know, they've never been handled and don't have their wings clipped. They've mostly just lived in the cage.

I was wondering where to start with them. First, I want the transition into a new home to go smoothly for them and they're kind of adjusting, I think. They've been doing the wolf whistle at me which entertains me to no end! :) Is it too late to train them? I'm hoping not! What can I do to keep them happy? I've been reading and reading about them all day and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.

Should I have their wings clipped? I live in a small house so I'd be worried about them running into walls and stuff if I can ever get them trained outside of their cage.

Thanks for any help and input! Their names are Sam and Dean. (We named them, she didn't have names for them and I feel like everything should have a name!) I'm super excited to be their mommy and want to make sure they're happy, content birds!

#2 User is offline   Donnasjb 

• Tiel Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • LocationMelbourne
  • tielskept:

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:50 PM

How lovely and I believe they deserve that. You'll have to take it very slowly as I guess you have already guessed. I hope it doesn't take you long to get them out and enjoying life. My boy took probably a good 2 years. He made progress at times then went back into his shell, he was very timid and had never been handled. He's great now , talking and filling the house with whistles and tunes. He was the first one to learn how to go to bed at night. At night I take them from the front room to the bottom of the stairs, and tell them to "go to bed" they both fly off my hands and go to their night cages upstairs in one of the rooms. It's so nice that they listen! Good luck talk soon.

#3 User is offline   Shawna 

• Egg
  • Pip
  • LocationNew York
  • tielskept:

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:57 AM

View PostDonnasjb, on 28 August 2015 - 07:20 AM, said:

How lovely and I believe they deserve that. You'll have to take it very slowly as I guess you have already guessed. I hope it doesn't take you long to get them out and enjoying life. My boy took probably a good 2 years. He made progress at times then went back into his shell, he was very timid and had never been handled. He's great now , talking and filling the house with whistles and tunes. He was the first one to learn how to go to bed at night. At night I take them from the front room to the bottom of the stairs, and tell them to "go to bed" they both fly off my hands and go to their night cages upstairs in one of the rooms. It's so nice that they listen! Good luck talk soon.

These guys are super singsongy. :) all day long! I know it's going to take a lot of work to train them. Does anyone have anywhere they could direct me as to where to start? :)

Thank you!!!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users