Totally Tiels: IPB Portal

Question about breeding genetics

Crazy Cute Cockatiels 
- 08-14-17 14:29 - 0 comments

Hi so I am getting new Cockatiels. I don't know the parents to the first two but one is a white face grey. The other is a regular pearl. I am hoping to get a lutino pied from a breeder and an albino at some point.

My question is this...
What would a white face grey x regular pearl produce?
What about a white face grey and albino?
Or white face and lutino pied?
Or white face and lutino?
Should be worth noting the lutino pied has one pied parent one lutino parent, if they turn out to be pied. The breeder can't tell at this point colors but the pair has produced pied and greys in the past.
Read 316 times - make a comment   Icon   Icon

More than one cockatiel?

Liz 
- 08-04-17 00:08 - 0 comments

Hi all, I am a newbie here but i'm only here as I want the best for my lovely tiel Monty and wanted to ask those that know better than me!
I will need to give you background info so you know where i'm coming from and what i'm going on about....
SO! we had parrots of various breed but after old age and one from an unknown illness we were left with 1 parrot, a Black Headed Caique called Wally and she seemed fine and happy until she wasn't and was screeching like i'd never heard before, until one morning I discovered an egg in her cage, so Wally was a Wallina! Anyway we tried everything to get her to stop laying eggs, the noises were horrific sounding! In the end it did seem to us that it was quite the coincidence that this started as soon as she was all alone for the first time in many years! You probably guessed what I will say next, but we felt strongly she was lonely and needed company, after much research it seemed the kind of bird we were looking for was a Cockatiel which surprised me as if i'm honest i'd never liked them as all my experiences with them were from Aunties and Grannies cramming loads into small cages and them all looking either angry, stressed or scared and usually mostly bald, a right sorry sight! But after more research into the breed and many you tube videos it's fair to say I fell in love and wanted one anyway!
So I got one, my lovely Monty who I love beyond belief, he was so scared of me at first and now he loves to sit on me and wants me to sing, whistle and talk to him, I can tell how happy it makes him, especially as Wally doesn't talk or even sing much, she's a screamer! :P
They have separate cages but come out together in the same room, they love to play together and huddle together, preening and other friendly stuff (I suspect Monty would like more but Wally is like Heck no!)
Now this is where I get to the issue, which is actually Wallys destructive behaviour, no i'm not here to ask advice about that, been there and done that and it's beyond hope, she has destroyed the room and i'm not talking poo, dust and feathers or even small amounts of destruction, i'm talking chewing through wall plaster destruction and everything else she can get her beak on and yes she has so much stuff to chew, shred and destroy but she goes for everything she shouldn't and frankly i'm worried for her safety and the only reason I haven't found her a new home is because of Monty....which is ironic when considering my first reason for even getting another bird, SO!

My concern is Monty being left alone and I know people on here don't like you getting a bird for another bird but i'm only thinking this, this time around as I've seen with my own eyes everyday how much he loves to have a buddy and as I mentioned there are 2 cages so they would have their own space, however this leaves me wondering and worrying, if I get another tiel should it be male or female? As I mentioned before my experiences with seeing multi tiels was not great but they were over crowded and sharing a cage, but I've also seen a friend with 2 bonded pairs in a massive cage together but there were missing feathers again, so I really worry about this. I don't want to breed so I worry about about getting a female (or will this not happen if they have separate cages?) and I worry about another male.... well you know how fellas can sometimes be, so maybe if I did consider a male a young one would be better as less threatening to Monty? Obviously I wouldn't leave them alone whether male or female at first for safety's sake, but still I would like everyone's opinion and I just hope I don't sound horrible regarding Wally, I honestly have tried everything, I've spent a fortune trying to make her happy but it seems happiness for her is destroying everything, everything! *cries* It's the hardest thing to think about and i'm still undecided truth be told, but I hope no one things badly of me :( If I do decide it's best for both of us if she has a fresh start I would obviously also be very careful about where she goes, I do love her dearly but I find it hard to cope with her.
It's funny because I read a post on here where someone was trying to explain was a commitment a tiel is and how much hard work they are and honestly I thought, huh! That is how hard it is to cope with Wally, any mess Monty makes is just nothing in comparison, I find him a joy to look after and he also happens to be awesome and amazing :D

Sorry for the long post and waffling on but I felt you needed the full picture to be able to understand and maybe help me better, thank you in advance :)
Read 358 times - make a comment   Icon   Icon

Female aggressive towards male

matt_1914 
- 06-05-17 23:35 - 0 comments

Hi,

I have had two cockatiels for about 6 months now. I have a female and a male who up until recently got on very well. I didn't get them with the intention of breeding and was sold as two males.

I had a feeling she was expecting eggs so I added a nesting box to the cage. At this point the female became very territorial and started launching herself at the male as soon as he got close to the nesting box.

I have removed the nesting box as unsure what to do as she is very aggressive towards him when the box is present. I have read about males being aggressive but can't find anything the other way round.

Help would be appreciated!

Just to add to date we have had one egg laid then left at the bottom of the cage

cheers,
Matt
Read 840 times - make a comment   Icon   Icon

nm12345 
- 04-13-17 22:40 - 4 comments

Hi guys, I just got a new cockatiel and I now she is less than a year old but they didn't know the months. Does anyone know how to estimate the age? She is still clumsy and has big eyes, but she is bigger in size than my other cockatiel which is 17 months old. She is the one on the left.
Read 1,169 times - last comment by nm12345   Icon   Icon

still very scared :(

bunnymadnad 
- 03-10-17 10:52 - 0 comments

Hi everyone please excuse me if i have posted in wrong section.
so we got cleo 3 weeks ago we were told that he is 8 months old . Our poor boy is terrified of everyone and everything.I felt with lots of gentle chatting he was getting used to me but it seems not . If i approach his cage to change food or water he is hissing and now lunging too . so my question is does he need a friend ? I dont want him to be so scared and upset. thanks in advance.nadine
Read 1,125 times - make a comment   Icon   Icon

My Birds POO

Pastha 
- 02-04-17 01:59 - 1 comments

[size="4"]We got sandy a little over a year ago as a orphan from the bird store where we board Kiwi when we go away. He is 5 years old. Ever since we got him his poop is very watery and loose. I took him to our avian vet 2 times and all she can say is to get him off seeds and put him on pellets. This didnt make sense to me as when we got the bird he wasnt eating seeds and had the same watery poop. We also went to see another avian vette who said same thing about not eating seeds and he wanted to do blood work for like 500 dollars which i wasn't able to afford. I converted him to 80% pellets and there was no difference in his poop. She tested his poop and said all looks ok When we got him he was only being fed nutriberries and Harrison but the bird wasn't eating the Harrison. We were told that's all that sandy would eat. So we tried feeding him all kinds of things and he would eat almost anything. fruits veggies corn flakes chicken etc. Poor guy wasn't being fed too well. Ok here is my question. I understand the the poop has 3 parts; the solid matter feces that is coiled, urates which are opaque white or cream colored and urine a colorless liquid. Sandy poop doesnt have any urates in it only the feces and mostly urine. It is not diarrhea (so the vett said). Can anyone tell me what would cause the birds poop to not have the urates in it and why the poop is so watery? Thanks in advance
Read 624 times - last comment by Paul   Icon   Icon

Appropriate Setup For Cocatiel

Googie85 
- 01-22-17 10:43 - 0 comments

Hi All!

I am looking for advice on my cage and play area and was wondering if it is appropriate for a single cockatiel.

Many Thanks,

Googie.
Read 627 times - make a comment   Icon   Icon

Bald/Bleeding Patch Under Wing

anelephantfly 
- 01-11-17 04:51 - 0 comments

My cockatiel Elephant just got home from a two week stay at my parents house, and when I went to pick her up my mom pointed out an inflamed area under her wing. It's vacant of feathers and from the looks of the scabbing she's been picking at it. Mom thought it might be from grooming her too much. Anyway now that Elephant is home we've noticed her picking at it while she cleans. Scabbing seems to have gone down but were wondering if we need to take any action. Perhaps wrap it up? Has anyone else experienced something similar?
Read 2,385 times - make a comment   Icon   Icon

New Cockatiels

Jhene 
- 12-27-16 02:22 - 0 comments

Hello everyone, Today I got two new cockatiel's from a pet store. When I brought them home, I allowed them to settle in a bit until I changed them to their new cage. I opened the cage door and they decided to come out. I did handle them for short amount of times. The next day, I decided to let them out again two hours before their bed time and they flew onto my shoulders. Today was a bit different than yesterday, when I tried to pick the one up it didn't allow me to, although the other one did. Do you think I should let them settle in a bit more? I've had them for three days now.
Read 504 times - make a comment   Icon   Icon

Jayjo 
- 12-15-16 01:26 - 2 comments

Hi, I am the proud owner of 7 cockatiels.
I never thought of myself as a bird person until the day my youngest son came home with a bird perched on his shoulder. He knew it wasnt a wild bird and after whistling at him for some time the bird came to him and he brought him home.
After some research we found out it was a cockatiel and went from door to door in the local area to see if anyone had lost such a bird but came up with nothing.
A neighbour offered to house him till his true owner could be found but sadly we never did find the owner but the bird is doing great and has a loving new owner, not me, even tho my son begged and begged me.
A few weeks went by and my son was still going on about this cockatiel he had found so I decided I would get 1 for him as he was showing a real interest, so this is how the tiel family started.
Tom was our first followed quickly by Kiwi as I didnt want him to feel lonely. They loved to come out their cage and the whole house revolved around them, even me lol
Over the next few months I made the mistake of visting the pet shop and fell in love with another tiel and quickly brought it home, welcome home Flo.
Then came a breeding pair that was sold to the pet shop as the owner was moving away, the female won my heart and the birds were given the names Thursday and Friday by my eldest daughter.
After all the different colours I had already I wanted a white cockatiel and soon found him, welcome home Daisy, which is the mischievious 1 of the bunch and can open the cage doors.
No more tiels my husband said, I agreed this was enough as we dont have the biggest front room in the world.
But after going into the pet shop for the bird food I saw 2 more cockatiels, a lovely light grey pied and the male was white and yellow mixed. Their previous owner had died and both birds were housed in a small cage, I couldnt see them like that could I?
The male won my heart, coming to see me and whistling away, thankfully for me my husband agreed I could have them so Baby and charlie came home with me.
We now had 8 cockatiels in our home after I always said I would never have birds.
After 8 months Tom got sick, we noticed he was in the corner of the cage by himself, where normally he would always be with Kiwi. After a few days we took him from the main cage and put him in a cage of his own and phoned the vet for advice.
Sadly after 2 days he died and my son was heartbroken as Tom was his tiel, we never did find out why he died.
4 more months passed and Kiwi was acting strange, straight away she came out the cage, I wrapped her in a towel to keep her warm and gave her cuddles while my husband set up the cage but she never made it into the cage, she died in my arms. I cried like a baby and then worried if I was doing something wrong.
My husband assured me our tiels were better fed than him, fresh food and water everyday, millet once a week and fresh vegetables. Cleaned when they were dirty so no I hadnt done anything wrong it was just nature.
A few months after that my mum was struggling to look after her cockatiel and budgie which was housed together so we gave them a home so she could still see them. We now have 7 cockatiels and 2 budgies.
I didnt realise how fun it would be to keep birds and how different each of them are, 3 of my male tiels can say " what you doing? " but only Baby is the real talker, Daisy likes to escape, Flo is the quiet 1 and Friday has just become a father and doing great. Yes we have 2 baby tiels aswell.
We have 2 female tiels called Charlie, both rescue birds, 1 is nearly 5 years old and the other has just become a mother.
Thursday is the noisest female and likes to start all the others off in the house when the hoover comes out lol

Well this is our tiel family and after losing 2 of them I wont be getting any more as it broke all our hearts
Thank you for listening to me go on and on
Read 441 times - last comment by Donnasjb   Icon   Icon

Our beloved Dewey

Shayla 
- 12-03-16 04:33 - 0 comments

"I'll lend you, for a little while, a bird of mine," He said.
"For you to love while he lives, and mourn when he is dead.
It may be six or seven years, or maybe twenty-three,
But will you, till I call him back, take care of him for me?
He'll bring his charms to gladden you, and shall his stay be brief,
You'll have his lovely memories as solace for your grief.
I cannot promise he will stay, as all from earth return,
But there are lessons taught down there I want this bird to learn.
I've looked the whole world over in my search for teachers true,
And from the throngs that crowd life's lanes, I have selected you.
Now will you give him all your love...not think this labor vain,
Nor hate me when I come to call, to take him back again."
I fancied that I heard them say, "Dear Lord, thy will be done.
For all the joy this bird shall bring, the risk of grief we'll run.
We'll shower him with tenderness and love him while we may,
And for the happiness we've known, forever grateful stay.
And should the angels call for him much sooner than we planned,
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes, and try to understand."
(--Author Unknown--)
Read 394 times - make a comment   Icon   Icon

Here is our family

Shayla 
- 12-03-16 04:24 - 0 comments

From left to right is Buttercup, Ditto,Blossom,and Lucas.
Read 212 times - make a comment   Icon   Icon

How can I log in with Facebook once I already registered

Shayla 
- 12-03-16 02:28 - 0 comments

Is there a way to log in with my Facebook account once I have registered... When I created my account I didn't notice the registration link for the Facebook option... Suggestion... Put the link up top where it says "Register with Facebook instead of below the box describing it's benefits.... Thanks bunches... Shay
Read 404 times - make a comment   Icon   Icon

Hi Everyone

Shayla 
- 12-03-16 02:13 - 1 comments

Hi there... I am Shayla and we have 4 cockatiels. How they came about is a long sad story.We started out with 2 males. Lukas is approximately 12 years old, and Dewey who was approximately 9. For many years they seemed to be doing fine until Dewey tried to assert some independence and then Lukas became very dominant causing Dewey to be very stressed and he started plucking his feathers under his wings and along his sides. We took him to the vet several times but the only option was to separate them which was also a nightmare because as much as Dewey was stressed with Lukas it was worse for him alone. We put an antibiotic cream where he would pick and it would clear up for a while, but eventually he started to pick again. We talked to the breeder we bought them from and she thought it would be a good idea to separate them and place a younger female bird with each of them so they weren't alone, and there weren't dominance issues.
Since gender is difficult to determine as well as if the birds would be compatible we were allowed to bring birds home on a trial basis to see how everyone got along.(We started this because Dewey was picking again and it was pretty bad so we really wanted to have him in a cage where he felt safe.We were using the cream again and he was starting to heal) We lucked out right away with one and one was definitely male and scared Lukas. He definitely would have put Lukas in his place but our goal wasn't to punish Lukas but to have both of our birds happy and healthy. So the male went back and we found the sweetest bird... So we then had Lukas with Buttercup and Dewey with Blossom. She was so very loving towards Dewey. She knew that he wasn't feeling well and was always at his side nibbling him gently... I would say giving him kisses. Lukas wasn't super fond of Buttercup but he tolerates her well in his cage. Sadly even though Dewey was healing on the outside he must have developed an infection and he passed away 2 weeks ago... Blossom alerted us to his worsening condition. She kept calling out for him as he took his last breaths in my husband's arms... It tore our hearts out and was unbelievably painful for our 7 year old daughter who basically grew up with him. It was unbearable to continue to hear Blossom calling out to him we didn't know what to do... Our goal was 4 happy cockatiels and we were down to 3 with one constantly reminding us all of our beloved Dewey. So we did the only thing we could think of and that was getting the other male that we had returned. Which leads us now to our newest dilemma... The birds we bought are approximately 6 months of age and where Lukas doesn't seem to fancy Buttercup as a breeding partner, Blossom and Ditto seem to be acting like a couple of hormone filled teenagers... I have researched a lot and it says definitely don't breed until they are at least 18 months old. We even contacted the breeder and she said they were "just practicing" these birds were caged together in the store, and she had stated that it happens all the time. Yet I read that females can be capable of breeding at 6 months but it isn't safe. I also read that males can be infertile at this age. We don't have a breeding box set up... We are going to swap the birds for a while but what if she is already fertile? We have seen about 3 attempts and today it appeared that it was more than an attempt.
Yeah wow a lot of information... Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated... I don't think our family is ready for another loss. We have been doing our best following guidance from a very experienced breeder, but now I am questioning everything...

-Shay-
Read 203 times - last comment by Monika Wrobel   Icon   Icon

What Color Is My New Cockatiel

Googie85 
- 11-29-16 14:52 - 1 comments

I have recently got myself a new Cockatiel and I was curious as to what color mutation he is. Also I have another question, sometimes he sticks his head in the air and its like he is gasping for air, or singing but nothing is coming out. Is there a problem or is this natural behavior?

Many Thanks,

Googie.

Attached File  1.jpg (38.03K)
Number of downloads: 7
Attached File  2.jpg (43.3K)
Number of downloads: 7
Read 255 times - last comment by Paul   Icon   Icon

Icon Online Users

0 members, 38 visitors and 0 anonymous users

Random Gallery Image

Roger Roo

October 2017